• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1989 lund tyee 1750

iceman16

i just picked up this boat it has a 3.0 130 chevy engine in it. it doesnt run very well at low speeds and kills. and then when ya go to start it back up ya have to choke it every time ya start it even if ya just turned it off any ideas?

iceman

Do you mean you pump the throttle? Or do you have to physicaly close the choke on the carburator? I ask only because there is an automatic choke on those.

It does, however, sound like a carb issue. It could be as simple as an idle mixture adjustment, or it may need to be rebuilt.

Being that it is a 1989, It should have standard ignition. They didnt switch to the digital ignition til 90. So, You may also want to have a look at the points. Personnaly, if it were mine, I would plan on getting a tune up kit and starting out fresh with a new ignition.

I was just about to ask about having to choke it.

As said, you have and automatic choke. Those of us that grew up driving carberated autos with automatic chokes know how to cold start.

Normal cold starting procedure is:

Even though its an automatic choke it has to be set. Do that by Full throttle then back to a high idle. Some I/Os want a little extra fuel to start. Your carb has an accelerator pump. Each time you push the throttle forward it pumps fuel.

So depending on the engine it might want a few pumps or it might not need just the initial one to set the choke. Just remember too many will flood the engine.

Just so we have that clarified, what to you mean by having to choke? Physically removing the engine cover and manually closing the butterfly?

A warm engine shouldn't need to be choked. It could need a shot of fuel but pushing the throttle forward then again that could be enough to flood a warm engine.

Have you replaced the fuel filters? You have one inside the carb just behind the fuel inlet and most likely a fuel/water separator that takes like what looks like a oil filter.

I'd then go on to checking, Idle mixture adjustment, fuel pump pressure, points and condenser, and if need be a carb cleaning and rebuild. Good thing about the rebuild is the kits have very good documentation. Just read through carefully and take your time.

sorry i didnt mean choke but pump the throttle. i pulled the filter off and it was clean. i am goin to be getting a carb kit. when i pump the throttle and get it started and when it kills it smells like its flooded. sorry of i am not explaining this very well i am not much of a motor head. i will post wheni get that done. thanks for all your help.

iceman

Many years ago I made the mistake of thinking a filter was clean after being inspected. A lot of money and time later, I changed the filter.

So you have to pump the the gas to get it started then it seems to flood. Check to see if the choke closes when cold. After setting the choke look to see if it opens a little. Let it warm up then check the position of the choke. After the engine starts there is a thing called a choke pull off. Can't say what type you have but after it starts it shouldn't be full choked.

Flame Arrester, is it clean.

It has an electric choke on it and as frank said, when it is set, it should open just a little. It should open up as voltage runs through the spring. The choke pull off is mechanical and should open the choke a little more when the throttle is advance to WOT.

You have to pump it to start it and then it will die and smells flooded? Right? What this really sounds like is the carb is dirty or out of adjustment along with a possible choke problem.

Frank also mentioned the cleaning the flame arrestor.