Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iceman16

1989 lund tyee 1750

9 posts in this topic

i just picked up this boat it has a 3.0 130 chevy engine in it. it doesnt run very well at low speeds and kills. and then when ya go to start it back up ya have to choke it every time ya start it even if ya just turned it off any ideas?

iceman

i would call and ask a dealership and see what they think. Might be something small as spark plugs, never know!

ill have to call them. when i picked it up i changed plugs, wires and water pump.i was wonderig if it was maybe the carbs or somthing.

iceman

If you're having to choke it I'd look at the carb, fuel pressure at idle and check for vac leaks. Check ignition timing too.

Do you mean you pump the throttle? Or do you have to physicaly close the choke on the carburator? I ask only because there is an automatic choke on those.

It does, however, sound like a carb issue. It could be as simple as an idle mixture adjustment, or it may need to be rebuilt.

Being that it is a 1989, It should have standard ignition. They didnt switch to the digital ignition til 90. So, You may also want to have a look at the points. Personnaly, if it were mine, I would plan on getting a tune up kit and starting out fresh with a new ignition.

I was just about to ask about having to choke it.

As said, you have and automatic choke. Those of us that grew up driving carberated autos with automatic chokes know how to cold start.

Normal cold starting procedure is:

Even though its an automatic choke it has to be set. Do that by Full throttle then back to a high idle. Some I/Os want a little extra fuel to start. Your carb has an accelerator pump. Each time you push the throttle forward it pumps fuel.

So depending on the engine it might want a few pumps or it might not need just the initial one to set the choke. Just remember too many will flood the engine.

Just so we have that clarified, what to you mean by having to choke? Physically removing the engine cover and manually closing the butterfly?

A warm engine shouldn't need to be choked. It could need a shot of fuel but pushing the throttle forward then again that could be enough to flood a warm engine.

Have you replaced the fuel filters? You have one inside the carb just behind the fuel inlet and most likely a fuel/water separator that takes like what looks like a oil filter.

I'd then go on to checking, Idle mixture adjustment, fuel pump pressure, points and condenser, and if need be a carb cleaning and rebuild. Good thing about the rebuild is the kits have very good documentation. Just read through carefully and take your time.

sorry i didnt mean choke but pump the throttle. i pulled the filter off and it was clean. i am goin to be getting a carb kit. when i pump the throttle and get it started and when it kills it smells like its flooded. sorry of i am not explaining this very well i am not much of a motor head. i will post wheni get that done. thanks for all your help.

iceman

Many years ago I made the mistake of thinking a filter was clean after being inspected. A lot of money and time later, I changed the filter.

So you have to pump the the gas to get it started then it seems to flood. Check to see if the choke closes when cold. After setting the choke look to see if it opens a little. Let it warm up then check the position of the choke. After the engine starts there is a thing called a choke pull off. Can't say what type you have but after it starts it shouldn't be full choked.

Flame Arrester, is it clean.

It has an electric choke on it and as frank said, when it is set, it should open just a little. It should open up as voltage runs through the spring. The choke pull off is mechanical and should open the choke a little more when the throttle is advance to WOT.

You have to pump it to start it and then it will die and smells flooded? Right? What this really sounds like is the carb is dirty or out of adjustment along with a possible choke problem.

Frank also mentioned the cleaning the flame arrestor.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I see that the morans are still falling for the fake shiat.......   WASHINGTON — D.C. police have identified the man who was arrested after firing a gun inside of a restaurant Sunday afternoon in Northwest D.C. Edgar Maddison Welch, 28, of Salisbury, North Carolina, told police he went to Comet Ping Pong, a popular pizza place in the 5000 block of Connecticut Avenue Northwest, to “self-investigate” the conspiracy theory generated by a fake online news story, D.C. police said in a news release Sunday night. Comet Ping Pong was the target of the conspiracy theory that went viral before the election. The fake story claimed the pizza shop was home to child-trafficking, and that there was a connection between the pizzeria and Hillary Clinton’s campaign. Initially, D.C. officials had said that while the motive for the incident was unclear, it wasn’t likely tied to the fake news story. At around 3 p.m., police responded to reports of a man with a firearm at Comet Ping Pong. The suspect entered the restaurant and pointed his firearm in the direction of an employee, police said. The employee was able to escape and call police. The suspect had ordered everyone out of the restaurant then fired his assault rifle inside before he was taken into custody. Two firearms were found inside the restaurant and an additional weapon was found inside Welch’s vehicle. Welch was arrested and charged with assault with a dangerous weapon (gun), police said. There were no reports of injuries. Police said the area was safe and that the incident had not been a terrorist situation. Comet Ping Pong’s owner, James Alefantis, made a statement late Sunday night after the shooting, denying what he called “malicious and utterly false accusations.” He said that employees were getting the day off Monday, but hoped that operations would resume in a few days. Alefantis added, “I hope that those involved in fanning these flames will take a moment to contemplate what happened here today and to stop right away.”
    • 5 dollar bubbler, 5 dollar cooler and the theft of my wifes hot glue gun for 5 minutes and I have a minnow bucket that keeps them cool in the summer and wont freeze in the winter.  toss in a 94 cent scoop that hangs from a string and that's a price that's hard to beat at the store.
    • It's neat and I love looking at stuff like the Geniejar but it seems they are solving a problem I never had.
    • I've used the cheap vinyl fly line too but always get the coil effect unless you weight it fairly heavily.That can make you a lot further off the bottom than you think when you use the weight to set them. It coil even changes the depth if you set them with a flasher. I tried the new Suffix tip up line, they have braided and vinyl, and the vinyl was limper than my usual stuff but the braided was a real hook magnet. It's so thin if you break a strand or two you've lost 1/2 your strength it would seem. Is this all we have to think about? Come on Ice! 
    • How about "Minions Cheer for Crony Capitalism"?.....  
    • You should be able to find a way better price than that.  We had a 21' done for under $1k, and a 24' done for $1100.  
    • I'm a huge fan of fly line.  Remarkable hard to tangle or knot.  
    • I think the money is front loaded but the cap hit lives with us forever. The NHL also penalized these kinds of contracts in the last CBA so we are likely stuck with it no matter what happens, not sure on the details but I'm sure we will hear all about them if things get bad. We should get some cap relief when we lose a guy to Vegas this off season so sort term we aren't too bad. Koivu off the books after next season, Pommers the season after next unless we buy him out which is possible. The Suter and Parise contracts are going to hurt us in the long run no matter what we do, it's just something we 100% had to do at the time to become a competitive team.

It's just too bad that Pommers and an injured Parise had their production tail off because some of the younger guys are having nice seasons and for us to have any kind of a chance at a cup we needed everyone clicking at once. Not that it can't still happen but it just makes it harder for us.
    • Excuse me, I meant fly fishing line, not backing.  I use a level taper (uniform diameter throughout entire line length).  I don't know what the coating is but it is fairly intermediate sinking rate.  Just don't get floating line. 
    • Does it freeze up real bad?  It looks like it would soak up water and freeze real quick like that braided tip up line does.   The idea of that PVC line seems great, it doesn't soak up water and remains flexible, plus the thicker diameter is easy to work with.  But the memory in that line is horrendous.  My fly lines are similar material and don't have memory issues like that, it could easily be done.     I've thought about how a sort of a weight backward fly line would be awesome tip up line.  Make it thick and easy to handle then taper it down the last 6 feet or so
  • Our Sponsors