• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New gun options

I will be buying a carry gun soon and have narrowed it down to 2 options.

1. Kimber Ultra carry II .45

2. Colt Defender/New Agent .45

My question is which one would you reccommend? Or are there any other suggestions on a different gun?

Thanks!

Looks like you are set on a 1911. I dont have any expereince with either of those so I can't help you there but I do have to ask if you have carried for a while or if you are you new to it? I ask because my first carry gun was a .40 cal Smith and Wesson M&P compact which I thought I would always carry.....not the case, partially because of the weight, but mostly because I was somewhat concerned about being "made" since it was difficult to conceal unless I had a hooded sweatshirt on. I recently bought a Ruger LCP w/ crimson trace to carry even though I told myself I would never carry anything less than a .40 for personal defense. Long story short, the LCP goes with me EVERYWHERE. I'm sure you heard it before but a .380 in your pocket is a lot better than a .45 sitting in the safe at home.... Also, check out www(dot)twincitiescarry(dot)com. They have a great forum there with lots of good info.

Thanks for the reply. I will be new to carrying, but I have owned a glock 22 .40 cal for about a year. The reason I want a 1911 is because I have the glock and I would like to get something a little different. Some of the new compact 1911's are pretty small 3" barrel, but they do still have some weight to them.

Nothing wrong with either gun. Have you shot a 3" 1911? I'd want to shoot one to see if I like it before I'd plop down the $$$ for one.

3" 1911's can be temperamental when it comes to reliable feeding. Many old hands will tell ya you're best off to go no smaller than a Commander size (4") to maintain reliability.

I tell ya though, when it comes to a carry gun, the Glocks are just awful hard to beat. Lightweight, RELIABLE, durable, very rust resistant, more than accurate enough and easy to shoot.

I don't like to mix platforms personally, especially going from a long, relatively heavy trigger pull as on a Glock to nice, short 1911 pull. Not a good thing for a tool you may have to use during a time of EXTREME stress.

IMHO it's best to train up your muscle memory and practice diligently with one or the other if you are serious about using a handgun for defensive purposes.

It's serious business.

Really the only reason I purchased a glock is the most common police issue gun, which I am almost done with my 4yr degree.

I do not like the glock sub compacts, but do like the Springfield xd subcompacts but they dont come in a .45 I guess I could live with another .40, but I kind of wanted a different style gun for carry and shooting.

About the feeding I heard that once they break in they are very reliable. I do understand about the trigger pull the glock has much more.

I carry a Colt Defender, its a really nice shooter, carries nice, but can get a little heavy at the end of the day, but nothing like the XD45 I tried for a while.(loved the gun, but sat in the safe too much) I also shoot a M&P 40 at USPSA events and have carried it on occasion, again, a little bigger and the weight of a full mag is heavier due to more rounds. The Defender is a very nice gun, well balanced, nice fit and finish, I like the houge wraparound grip. I have never had feeding issues with mine, trigger is great and being a gunsmith I found it didn't need any work right out of the box, clean crisp 4.2lbs.

If you're just set on the 1911 platform, consider the pistols like the Springfield EMP which is 1911 style but shoots 9mm. I believe Para or someone else makes one similar to Springfield. 9mm cheap to shoot and avoid the hefty recoil of a short barrel .45, plus its less weight to tote around.

Well I did some more looking around and I think that the Springfield GI .45 micro compact is something I would like to look into. I like the fact that it is very similar to the guns used in the war, they are as basic as it gets. They are reasonably priced, and the only thing is the military sights, but you can get aftermarket replacements.

I would go smaller than a .45 for a carry gun for all of the above reasons. Recoil and the ability to hit the target the first and second time being the primary factors. Ease of carring a smaller and lighter gun. More rounds available for the same weight. Cheaper to practice with given the price of ammo these days.

I watch alot of people shoot and unless you are very proficient with a handgun a .45 is more than most can handle in a full size gun much less a compact. What ever you decide to go with make sure you practice alot. Not just shooting at the range but drawing from a concealed holster, shooting on the move, handgun retention techniques, reloading, shooting from cover, etc.

Smilin Bob where do you shoot I might have seen you at a match or ten, MAPSA, SCAPSA or ?

I have done both MAPSA and SCAPSA, but missed the last couple. That is about the most addicting sport a person can get into. I should be pretty easy to spot next time I get out, I finally got a logo put on a shirt. As far as recoil goes, a 45 I find to be less "snappy" of a feel than a lighter 40, it just seems to me to be a faster cycle and quicker bang than a 45. I'm sure its just a perception deal, I fire a lot of different guns in my line of work and have kind of lost the feel of big vs small recoil, now its just big vs small expense. 380 is making a huge comeback in the conceal carry world and I wouldn't hesitate at all to take a serious look at whats out there now. The GI micro campact is built to mil-specs and will not have the fit and finish of anything else you mention interest in, its pretty bare bones as far as sight and grips. I recommend you go to a few different shops and handle as many as you can that look interesting and form your own opinion, sales people will try to steer you around a lot, thats where the multiple shops helps. No reputable company is turning out a bad product anymore, just find the one you like.

I have been to quite a few shops. I like the Kimber, but none of them have the ultra carry II with night sights in stock the best deal I found on that gun was $839.99 which is very reasonable, and if they order it most say it will take up to 6 months, one place said a month, but everyone else says that is way to fast.

It's up to you, but if you're not real, real comfortable carrying condition 1 (cocked and locked), I'd look at a DAO or DA/SA pistol. I've shot 1911's extensively and it would still would not be my first choice for a carry gun. But hey, maybe that's just me. Just something to consider.

I have looked around a lot and came to a decision.

I will buy a Springfield xd sub compact 40S&W or 9mm

I have a glock 22 .40cal so my question is how much cheaper is 9mm to shoot around vs. .40cal?

9mm is a few bucks cheaper per box. I had a sub compact xd in 9mm. Very sweet little gun! Ultra reliable with any ammo, accurate and handled like a dream! I traded it in when I bought My XDM and wish I'd just held on to it and paid the differnce. Only downfall is it's kinda wide for IWB carry.

It adds up FAST I've got 14 handguns in 9 calibers from .22 up to .44 mag. Besides the .22 I shoot my 3 9mm's the most because of cost of ammo. Federal's 9mm 147gr Hydra Shock run excellent in my XD's.