• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

16ft lund alaskan on shorlander roller trailer!?!?

Lindyrig81

Question

ok, so I have a older lund alaskan 16' 25hp tiller on a shorelander roller trailer.

Always has been a pain in the butt to load (straight) now on the front of the trailer there is a keel roller, it was shot when we got the boat, so I replaced it, just noticed last night that the bracket was spread apart that holds it and the roller was jamed. When the boat is on the trailer with weight on the rollers, I adjusted the keel roller up to the bottom, put slight pressure up and tightened the bolts, sounds right i think, but now Im wondering if the trailer needs this keel roller, its the first thing the boat hits when Im loading and then the back almost never lines up because the backsets of rollers hardly touch ( This is with the trailer backed up so that the keel roller is just barely submerged so that I can keep it on the roller when I crank other wise it will fall off to one side or the other).. Should I keep the keel roller? Add vertical roller guides on the back to keep the boat lined up? Something doesnt seem right

[img:center]http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=30473371&id=1321952411

[img:left]http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=30473369&id=1321952411

[img:right]http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=30473374&id=1321952411

5 answers to this question

I have the same trailer with a lund rebel 16.5'. Sounds like your backing the trailer too deep. My fenders have about 5" of the top showing when I load. If the back is too deep the boat is floating and not on the rollers. If my trailer is too deep It is almost impossible to get it on straight. Try loading with the front 2 rollers out of the water and the rear sets just under the water..Scott

thats what I thought it needs, but with the keel roller on there it ends up being too high to get the boat up and rolling on it..

Im triing to do some reseach on shorlandr.com and other sites, but I can't see any numbers on either sticker for trailer vin,model etc... I would think it would be stamped on somewhere??

But I dont think its the "correct" trailer for that boat, according to the shorlandr.com site.. So I dont know, im gonna play around, take some parts off, whats the worst that could happen?

Sold Shorelandr trailers for 25 years. Can't see a lot with the pictures but it looks like the keel roller is set to high. Use this height to adjust the bow height on the trailer. As previously stated, the most common cause of difficult loading is getting the trailer to far into the water. Snap was right on with his suggestion. On this trailer you do not want to remove that keel roller.

Shorelandr does not manufacture specific trailers for specific boats. So to say that you have the wrong trailer for your boat is not really correct unless you have a 5000# boat on a 1000# trailer. It looks like you have a suitable trailer for your application.

the keel roller has hardly any pressure down on it, It cant go any lower or i'd have a gap.

"Can't see a lot with the pictures but it looks like the keel roller is set to high. Use this height to adjust the bow height on the trailer"

And how and why would I use the keel roller to adjust the height when the front is supported by two sets of rollers and the keel roller?

It just doesnt seem like its adjusted right... Any idea how I can figure out what model and serial number trailer this is?? The Vin tags have no numbers on them at all.. And with the two sets of rollers in back and two sets in front its an xr roller trailer according the www.shorelandr.com site, but when I do a search for an lund 16Alaskan it doesnt show a xr trailer for that boat.. I think im gonna add some roller guides inside the frame rails on the sides at rear of trailer to keep it going straight on...