• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Grass Question

David Frank

I am in the process of trying to get grass started in a couple of bare patches in my front lawn. Last Sunday, I cleared the area of any dead grass and weeds, raked the top couple of inches of soil loose, lightly watered the area and applied my grass seed and starter fertilizer. The seed I used was mixed in with the starter fertilizer and a greenish moisture holding material (resembling shredded newspaper or worm bedding). I have been watering the area lightly 2 - 3 times per day, depending on the temperature, sunshine, wind, etc. to keep the area moist. Although I have not seen any new grass begin to grow through, I picked up a little clump of the green worm bedding like material, and there are roots beginning to grow downward. I feel like I am on the right track, and within days of seeing new grass, but here's where I run into my problem:

My wife and I have to leave town on Sunday morning to take her Grandma her see her youngest Grandson graduate. We will not be back to town until late Monday evening. What is my best option to keep the grass alive? Should I give it a very healthy shot of water before we leave town on Sunday and hope it doesn't dry out by the time we get back? From your experience, will I be OK if it isn't watered for 1 1/2 days? The research I have done says this is a delicate time for the new grass, and I don't want to loose any of the progress I have made.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!