Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Huskie

Blown fuse-rebuilt 1991 100Hp. johnson

4 posts in this topic

About halfway through our fishing trip last week end, my rebuilt blew the 20 amp inline fuse on the motor. It was after we checked on the starter not engaging and the cowling barely fits over the motor. We may have scraped some wires, couldn't see any loose wires, where do I start looking? When I put a new fuse in, it will start, run but blows the fuse again. The T&T is wired through it also, so that goes out and will blow the fuse. Help!!!!

I would start at the battery cables and follow your way until you find a rubbed / pinched wire. I would start with the thicker cables and go from there.

If you can isolate when it does it (only when you hit the trim and tilt, or only when it's running) that should reduce the amount of time you'll have to spend looking.

marine_man

Wouldnt the hot cable if it were frayed or grounded arch all the time when it hits metal? If you are hitting the key and flows enough to start but then kicks the breaker i would suspect the trigger wire or starter solenoid. How about replacing with a reset type breaker or inline fuse so you dont have to keep replacing them? good theft deturnant if you think about it but pain in butt when wanting to fish.

Since it doesnt blow while cranking, I'd look at the tnt.

While the engine is not running, cycle the tnt several times to isolate the problem as M_M suggested.