Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

5 posts in this topic

I've heard from some experts that the fall is the best time. I've always done it in the spring.

This year I removed the bigger chunk in the fall and just dethatced a little this spring to clean up a few matted sections. Lawn looks better this year than in the past.

Most will say fall.

I will say when you do the least damage to your lawn, which would be fall, since spring is usually wet.

It'll always be before you put down crabgrass preventer, because after and you mess up your chemical barrier.

I do it in the spring, but very lightly. I have one of those rake looking things that a person mounts on the front of the mower, and use it more for snagging stuff that's matted down, rather than getting thatch up.

If you mow weekly, you shouldn't have a thatch problem.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• And after the boy had cried wolf a bunch of times....the wolf came and ate the sheep...or the boy, depending on which version you read.  
    • Doing a nice job for the city! 
    • Well that spot I closed the day out was a good one - almost.   I was close enough the hear what sounded like a "legend" get out of bed and do his milling about before breaking cover.    CRRAACK!  went the stick. Step, step, step.  Smaller branches breaking.... just on the other side of the brush wall.  30 minutes to go!   Waiting....   Glassing....   Hearing he's still there.  What to do?  Call?  Wait more?  Look at the time.  10 minutes to go.  OK, call!   Start soft: doe bleats.  Come out to Play?   No   Ramp up with young buck grunts. Nothing.   Move to mature buck grunts.  Nothing again, what they hay...   Running out of time - snort wheeze!   Not today!  Crash .... Crash .... but didnt go totally away.   Times up anyway but I'll be back another day!
    • It is arguable that as every forthcoming election we are at the precipice of ethical, moral, racial, political, societal, cultural, sexual,theatrical bankruptcy, it is the yugest election ever.
    • Go on shark tank!  sorry just had to...
    • Nice report!   I am thinking lower hunter density may have something to do with it.   Glad you can still find the experience,.fun and valuable.  That's the reason I keep going back.
    • It would be an ideal time to get into selling guns and ammo. Time for me to buy a 10 year supply of 22lrs. She will be a better guns seller than Obamaha.  Buy lots of guns
    • That is the well off ones.  The poor still have to sneak in, old school style.
    • I applied for about 4 city bow hunts this year and didn't get any, let me in on your hunts lol! I managed to get Crow Hassen last year and got a small doe. You shouldn't have any trouble landing a deer on Murphy. Let us know how it goes for you!
    • Had to leave around 2pm today. I think someone posted there was 830 hunters Day 1 with 19 deer, half of bucks? When I left today there was about 500 and 3 deer.    It was not so much a busy hive compared to previous years. Day one I only encountered 2 hunters in the morning. All wearing head lamps but very courteous about spacing out and getting away from another. Around 12pm I saw one guy 80 yards from me walk back to his truck. I saw NO deer, 2 grouse, woodpecker, and about a 5lbs grey squirrel I wish I was able to shoot. Weather was 30night, 45day overcast. Slight breeze in the afternoon.   It was a surprise not to run into so many people at first it was comforting. However, to thinking about it now was you almost needed all of those hunters to push those deer around. Especially if they aren't quiet rutting yet. It's difficult to walk blind a 53k arces diverse landscape and pick out an on the dot spot trail that is active with deer. Most hunters just find funnels and transition points and hope of other hunter moves deer through it. I can see how someone can say the deer numbers are down from there recent ripely experience based through their eyes in the stand. Does that relate mostly from the lack of hunters that are stirring up the deer? Just some treestand talk. Well more like excuses I make up to my girlfriend because I never come home with animals. Nothing works.   I never expect anything when it comes to hunting but its a nice 2 day get away from home. Chance to hangout in the stand and B.S with some fellow hunters. I usually hunt the first season, but next year I'm going to shoot for the second to get closer to a possible rutting buck. Hopefully people do better this up coming round.      
  • Our Sponsors