• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye and Mayflies

Has anyone fished walleyes during a mayfly hatch?

I've been told by others that the bite slows down and as the fish feed on mayflies. I'm wondering if anyone has some techiniques for catching walleyes feeding on the mayflies.

Has anyone fished walleyes during a mayfly hatch?

I've been told by others that the bite slows down and as the fish feed on mayflies. I'm wondering if anyone has some techiniques for catching walleyes feeding on the mayflies.

I have heard that as well, but always try different things, either really slow or fast or really small finese/to large stick baits in your face....one usually gets some bites, but I think it also has to do with the change in temp during those times as well...at least we shouldn't have to worry about that for a few weeks anyway

I've seen so-called May Fly rigs ---- they are designed to be smaller and more attractive with the bugs. They're a string of half a dozen orange beads, a brighly colored tiger-pattern indianna blade (med size, probably #3), and a half-crawler on a single hook. Pull them up high in the bugs and change speeds until you get bites.

Remember the mayflies hatch out of the bottom.. so the walleyes are down there feeding on them. During the hatch is kind of a right place right time bite. The fish are very active and you shouldnt need to change your presentation. Try and put a few more hours in and be a little more mobile. You will catch just as many or more walleyes.