• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

?'s about dog breeding

Johnsonator

A friend and I were talking the other day about dogs and were wondering a few things. We were wondering if you breed a male dog for the first time, does his outlook on life change from that day foreward or is he still the same dog. For instance will he run off at the smell of any female or will he remain the same. We were also wondering the same for females. Any help on that question is apprecieated.

Speaking in general terms a male who has been bred will want to keep breeding as much as possible... Does it mean running away to search out females? Possibly... depends on your obedience level. Will it mean he will want to mate a female in heat when pheasant hunting instead of looking for birds? Probably. It all isn't due to the act of breeding though, once they have had the ability to breed, it reinforces what mother nature has programmed in them with hormones... If you want a male dog that has no interest in females in heat and the possibility of running, neuter them at a young age, usually 9-12 months. Gets rid of the homones that drive them to act the way they do.

On the flip side, it usually doesn't impact a females behavior near as much as a males. If the litter was in the summer close to hunting season, her stamina and physical make-up may be affected, but her mental state will probably be the same. She won't be out courting males if that is what you were refering to.

Good Luck!

Ken

I have a 4 year old male Black Lab that I have not neutered. The vet told me that I should neuter him if I am not going to breed him. I don't know what to do. I don't want neutering or breeding to affect the way he is now. He is absolutly the best dog I have ever had and I want him to stay the same. A friend would like to have him breed his chocolate female and I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I don't have papers on him. I got him from a kennel in S.D. and was told that I could get papers but that was long ago and I don't think I could get them now. He had a very good body and is awesome with kids and very obiediant.

Quick answer is listen to your vet. You should be able to do a search here that will give you more info on what people believe constitutes good breeding practices. Your post raises several red flags in my mind that say don't breed. i.e. no papers, no mention of hips or eyes being checked. In no way saying you don't have a good dog that you think highly of but not what most buyers are looking for.

------------------
IBOT's # 17 & 248