• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Camera type

I always wanted to get a camera for those special pictures that come up that a typical camera can not catch. Just wondering what type or brands that you would recommend ? Not sure as to what shutter speed is my biggest question. Do not want to get to deep but some helpful hints for someone that wants to get started . Obviously I would not be able to afford top of the line camera but just something in the middle. So much to choose from but do not have a clue where to start. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I Love the pics in this forum a bunch of great pics! Hopefully someday I can add to them.

I've had good luck with my Canon Rebel XT and XTi. You can get a used XT for around $300 WITH LENS if you know where to look, IE online classified and places like National Camera Exchange.

Same can be said for a Nikon D40. Both are older digital SLRs but you can get some remarkable shots with either, and they are perfect for the beginner.

And there are just some of us who can't afford a Canon 5D Mark II with 3 L series lenses or a Nikon D700 :P

Canon or Nikon are both very good brands if you ever think about seriously getting into photography. Both offer a larger selection of lenses then Sony, Olympus, etc do for their SLRs; as they can both use film lenses; which for someone with a budget, finding a used film lens for my Canon for under $100 is allways a nice little gem then having to spend $500 on one that is new.

What I would do is this: go to your local camera store, and ask them to let you play with both Nikon and Canon DSLRs; either the Dxx or Canon Rebel series. Both of these are great cameras, and are easy to use.

Find out which one both fits your budget and feels best to YOU by doing this. Everyone can say that one camera is better then another; but it also comes down to your own preferences on how easy you feel the camera is to use, or how comfortable the controls are.