• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog showing to much dominance!

MILLER TIME

My 2 1/2 year old black lab is showing what I believe to much dominance. This fall some friends of mine came out hunting and brought a dog that mine has never met before and all he wanted to do was get busy if you know what I mean, just male dogs by the way! Now the other day my friend had just purchased a 5 week old male lab and brought him out to socialize and within minutes he was going for the rear and no cares of what I said. How can i resolve this and stop the embarassment? Thanks

Doubt he'd do that to a male older than he or any female since the alpha female rules the pack (you and your family are your dog's pack, he's at the bottom.) Does he understand NO? Best advice is to firmly establish your dominance. A leash, collar and command to heel would be a good start. Simply lowering the tone of my voice get the huskeys to pay attention.

Good luck, if nothing else at 2.5 he still has maturing to do and so should subside especially when he figures out what hunting is all about!

I chose not to yet since I want to breed him.

That's what I figured (although fixed dogs will hump, too). It's a fact of life with a male dog, especially with an intact male. If you plan on breeding him, I would suggest "Stop" instead of "No" because you will actually want him to do that behavior at some point.

I haven't found a miracle cure yet. I've asked a few trainers and no one seems to have a great answer. I've been using "Stop" and if he's real dead set on it, I'll give him a shot with my knuckle in the front shoulder.

2-and-a-half weeks and mine is getting snipped. Hoping that helps with the issue. If nothing else, it should help stop the wiener drips all over the floor frown

Pretty common. My black lab was fixed and still did it until he was about three. I don't think there is much you can do about it and its pretty natural.

What's mentioned above is correct as well. Older dogs will just take care of themselves and "correct" the younger dog on the behavior for you.