• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2001 Ford Ranger

hopefully this is something i can handle-

as my truck coasts into stop signs, stop lights, etc, or if i putz around town and take my foot off the accelerator, at around 30mph my rpms will drop like a rock, and an then my oil pressure and battery dials will also drop and sometimes the truck will shut off, or sometimes it will kick back one... if it shuts off, i just throw it in neutral and it starts right back up, and if i stays on, i just keep on driving.

it's sad to say, but it has been like this for almost a yr now, and i finally have a little time and some money to put into it finally- i guess i just kept driving cause it still got me from pt A to pt B- and i am worried how much it will actually run me. i will hopefully get some help and try everything i can, and if i can't i'll hafta hand it over to the experts...

hopefully i've described it well enough for a diagnosis, but i'm not really sure what everyone needs to hear!

Thanks!

I agree with Airjer, the first thing I would do is remove the Idle Air Control valve (IAC) and spray carb/brake clean in it to clean it out.

If thats not it, there is 2 other things I would do, unplug the electrical connector to the dpfe sensor and redrive it, your check engine light will come on, but you just want to see if the truck still stalls, if it is ok now replace the dpfe sensor.

The other thing is to remove the vacuum hose from the egr valve and plug the hose, retest drive and see if it stalls then.

Remove the battery cable to erase the codes you set if you dont have a way to erase the codes.

Quote:
The other thing is to remove the vacuum hose from the egr valve and plug the hose, retest drive and see if it stalls then.

Ya, if the EGR valve is stuck open it can cause something like discribed above. Checking the DTC's might be a good first step to see if anything is chreeping around???

Idle air control is a good possibility also wink.

alright-i took off the IAC and she's definatly filled up with carbon-i tried cleaning it out with some carb cleaner, but only got so clean, so i soaked it in some sea foam and see if that helped, which it did slightly, but still had a lot of black inside-put everything back together and still stalls out... should i just move to the next thing on the list, such as the dpfe sensor, or should i buy a new IAC?