• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minn Kota - Co-Pilot Install Question - Marine Man, Somebody?

PTocko

I bought a co-pilot for my regular (not V2) version of the Minn Kota Power Drive. Install was very easy - take the two bolts out of the side plate, put the co-pilot over the side plate, screw back on and connect the wires. That being said - the fit is TERRIBLE. There is a huge gap on top and I have notches where there is nothing to get access at. I am assuming some of this is due to being able to fit several years worth of models. My main concern is water getting at the back of the co-pilot and causing problems. It looks like most everything is potted up pretty good but I just want to make sure. I will fish in ANY weather and rain and waves could get in there very easily. If it will work with no problems - I am okay with the poor fit. If not, all I can say is "not good". Paul

I suspect it's because your trolling motor is quite a bit older than what they originally designed the copilot for... the copilot was designed to start fitting on the area of the grip lock / release, and yours has the sliding collar with the lock bolt / friction knob, right?

I'm sure it works fine, but the fitup you have I think is as good as it's going to get.

Getting back to your question, regarding if it will be ok.. I'd place a call to Minnkota I think... I suspect it will be just fine, but it'd be nice to hear their opinion as well.

marine_man

I suspect it's because your trolling motor is quite a bit older than what they originally designed the copilot for... the copilot was designed to start fitting on the area of the grip lock / release, and yours has the sliding collar with the lock bolt / friction knob, right?

I'm sure it works fine, but the fitup you have I think is as good as it's going to get.

Getting back to your question, regarding if it will be ok.. I'd place a call to Minnkota I think... I suspect it will be just fine, but it'd be nice to hear their opinion as well.

marine_man

Marine Man - Motor is a 2006, not sure of your question above re: the grip lock release versus sliding collar. It does have a collar that sets the "depth" of the motor but I release the motor by pulling back on a handle and sliding the motor forward. I did take your suggestion about speaking to Minn Kota and they verified that the co-pilot I purchased was correct, people call them all of the time about "the gap" and they have not experienced any issues. All that being said, I guess I will run it and see what happens. Thanks for everyones help, I do appreciate it. Paul

Thanks everyone - I am okay with gap so long as it holds up to water getting at the backside of the co-pilot. MinnKota says this will not be a problem (as well as many of you) so I am running it as is, we'll see what happens. Paul

All these units/electronics are made to be waterproof! the saltwater versions of minnkotas use extra shrink wrap to protect corrosion at the connections.. almost all co-pilots fit this way.. as long at it is flush at the ends and the connectors are coming out of the designated slots you've installed this unit properly..

dont wory about water! (only getting it in your lower unit!)