• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab won't retreive to hand

tonyf125

Rudy, is 6 months old and is doing fairly well as far as retreiving goes. One issue that I am having is that he dropping the bumpers at my feet. He used to not do this and retreived to hand on a regular basis. It is only recently that he has started this. So, how do I fix this issue? He also tends to run a lap or two around me before coming to me. How do I get him to come directly to me and no run around? Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you!!

I have a 6 month old lab myself and I think this is a typical stage of developement. I would recommend that Rudy begin a FF program. My pup is in the middle of FF right now and doing very well. Once completed they should not only return to heel, but should hold until commanded to release. Until FF and collar conditioning, a long check cord would be a good idea to reel him in. Attach the cord to a pinch collar and as soon as he goes off course give a quick snap to the cord along with your recall command. Good luck with your training.

my 6 month old did that for a week or so too. she used to not do it. then all of a sudden she started. i started to throw the bumber down a sidewalk with high snow banks so she had to come back to me. took a day or two and now she is fine. i dont know if it was waht i did or she got focused again.

its possible that hes teething, it might hurt to have it in his mouth.

You beat me to it this is a thing that goes un noticed by many. If the teathing has started just quit for a week or so and it will come back after the baby teeth fall out and get replaced. Its hard to quit playing with the new buddy but it is the thing to do or you can instill the bad habbit farther. If this keeps up later after the teathing then I agree 100% with the Force fetch and trained retrieve training. It works wonders. I do my own but if you are not up to speed to it get some pro help or come to a club. There is some verry good vidieos you can watch too. 6 months is pretty close to the teathing stage, I would think it should be about over so try the quitting for a bit. Good luck

Well I use the Dobbs meathod, yes to all the above I do the whole program from start to finish. Don't skip any steps and if you stumble back up a step and work a bit slower. I also incorperate place board training to get them delivering to where you want them to and steadying the dog.Some steps will go fast and some take a few more sessions. If you follow the Instruction it works very well but you do not want to jump all over and skip steps.

Thank you all for your imput. I did notice that he is teething and thought that it may be the culprit but was not sure. At this stage should I focus on commands or what? Rudy is whistle trained and is pretty good at sit, stay, heel, as well as a little casting. What else would you all recommend for commands or do you have any tips or advice? Thanks.

Tony

Thank you all for your imput. I did notice that he is teething and thought that it may be the culprit but was not sure. At this stage should I focus on commands or what? Rudy is whistle trained and is pretty good at sit, stay, heel, as well as a little casting. What else would you all recommend for commands or do you have any tips or advice? Thanks.

Tony

You got it, see your a good trainer. Just reinforce the other comands for a while and leave the retrieving alone. When you do go back as many have said here before keep the sessions short, only a few retrieves, If he gets distracted or screws around at 3 then stop at two. You want to quit with him wanting more, dont. put him up and do it later a few times a day. Keeping it fun and he will come around.When he retrievs to you scratch his neck and chin to get him looking up with the bumper and don't take it away right away just keep praising him fo a bit and say give or whatever and do a couple more the same way. If he is chewing at it take it away right away.