• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog limps in the snow?

jparrucci

My 4 year old brittany is limping when he goes outside in the snow. He has never had any problems before, and runs around in the house like a maniac still. But when he goes outside the last few days, he has been walking with a noticable limp, and not from just one leg. He hasn't been outside for any extended period of time for me to think that he had gotten frostbite or anything. It has me pretty confused. I don't see any cuts on any paws or anything. Any ideas?

My dogs pussyfoot around once and a while too when it is realy cold, He probably just don't like the icy snow between the toes.But if you involved hunting he would most likely forget all about it. Any way hope there is nothing wrong.

I'm sure you probably already have taken a look but check his pads for cuts and cracks. Ice and crusty snow can chew a dogs feet up pretty quick. Also are you using salt on your side walks? That could be burning his feet as well.

Has this developed since the weather warmed up a little? My Brit pup will run through snow all day long, but if he runs into snow that's soft, or slushy, he HATES it ... he'll often limp it off. Seems to me that it gets stuck between his toes, where he's sensitive to the cold.

There is a treatment called Tuf-foot. You can buy it at Cabela's for around $15. Worked well for my dogs feet. They used to come out of the swamps and field with a little limp after a long day hunting and havent after since using it. Im not too sure that it will work for the snow, but just putting another option out there for you.