• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fresh water shrimp as bait

Philydog

Been using them for two years,altho' I haven't yet this year..They are a great gill bait, especially this time of year when they can get picky...I either use a tiny jig or to really finesse them, I've used size 14 dry fly tying hooks..You can get them at Gander and some other places that have fly tying equiptment..Hook them thru the shell on thier back...just slide the hook under the shell, try not to hit meat, and they will wiggle in a circle..You can stick a couple or three on the hook at a time. That way if one gets nibbled off, which is easy for a gill to do, you've got more meat to tempt them a second time...Great bait!!

I had a group in one of my panfish houses this winter and one guy was using them. He had two dozen when I left them and when I came back a while later to check on them, he had one left. He hammered on the pannies, with them.

started using shrimp last year after seeing some perch fishing show on tv. probably coincidence but caught jumbos on a lake i have never caught one on. then tried them on gills and had very good success. after dinking around with differnt size pieces, found whole salad shrimp worked best. took a little time to figure out best way to keep them on the hook, but it will my first bait choice this spring.

upon rereading the topic it became apparent my college education was over priced. so either ignore what i previously said or read closer. for 2 bucks you can get a bag of really small salad shrimp and catch a pile of gills and perch.