• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I arrived at a new understanding

So I have been doing some looking for cameras for my girlfriend and know what features she will use. I know what she needs and doesn't need. I am leaning towards the Canon Powershot SD890 IS Digital Elph. Looks just about right for her at right around 200 bucks. I will probably even use it myself a few times for some macro work as it focuses at 8/10ths of an inch. That is amazingly close focusing.

Here is where my problem lies. In reading reviews of cameras online, I see so many people complaining about things that they would figure out by simply reading their owner's manuals. "I can't see the screen with my polarized glasses on" was a good one. Or, on macro mode it focuses close but wont focus on the other side of the field. When you get a sophisticated product such as a camera, one should take the time to read the manual to find out what it is and isn't capable of. It will solve a lot of frustrations and maybe make a review hold a little more clout.

Here is my point. It is difficult to judge a camera, or any other product for that matter based on user reviews. A lot of things we do on this site are reviewing products, whether it is fishing equipment or lawn tractors. Depending on the skill of the user, you may or may not be getting an accurate report of what a product is capable of. I am sure I am guilty of it as well, but we should all take a close look at what we write when reviewing products.

That being said, I think I have to go complete a user review on Pampers Diapers. My little boy is leaving a wafty trail as he is running around the house right now.

That's great advice, Tom, and should serve as a constant reminder to all of us when we opine on gear.

Equipment review is as much a craft as photography itself. Knowledge of the gear being reviewed and what's available in lenses/bodies and other gear is only part of the challenge. A reviewer must take into account the needs, experience and standards of the person asking the question. Without that, it's very, very easy to be too basic for an intermediate/expert or too complex with a beginner.

And the online phenomenon has made it more difficult to know which advice is sound and which isn't, because everyone and their brother can come across like an expert on open photography forums.

Glad to see the Pamper Protocol worked itself out. That would have been one review I'd have ignored. Been there, done that, times three! shockedshocked