• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

550 panther chain case leak?

GoodToGo

1997 550 Panther. I think this is a vent hole, you can see it right in the center of the photo. After a ride there is quite a bit of oil that has come out of this hole, enough that I have to refill the chain case. It feels like there are threads in it, but I can't see them. Is there supposed to be something screwed into this hole? Something on the inside maybe that has come loose? Thanks.

550panther.jpg

I have a pair of 99 550 Panthers and it is different than your photo. I do not believe that is a vent hole. They say not to over fill your chaincase as they build a little pressure. Maybe I'm wrong but I think your leaking from somewhere else?

I know the 99's are different. It is definately leaking out of this hole. I looked at a schematic, there is a vent cover on the inside, but it is not clear where it attaches or what it does. I also looked at a Clymers and it wasn't helpful. I think I am going to have to drop the chaincase cover off and look, I was hoping somebody could confirm what it is I am looking for. Maybe there is a loose part laying in th ebotton of my case. Thanks.

After looking at the parts diagrams again, I think this might be the reverse shaft. It looks like a bolt runs through the case into the end of the shaft. If this is the case the bolt is missing and I can't believe I have been running this sled with no problems, both in forward and reverse. Can anyone with a 550 verify that there is supposed to be a bolt in this hole?

For '97 Panther 550...

Under "Drive/Reverse Dropcase Assembly" (pic here)

1236184154.gif

Part #40 and #41 Oil Vent Cover and the Self Tapping Screw. That would explain a leak out of this hole as it appears to be an oil vent? There is also part #53 and #3 that is a "plug" and "fiber washer".

It is hard to tell by the parts fiche, but it simply could be a plug #53 and it fell into the belly pan while riding?

Or to be safe I would drain the chaincase (remove drain plug Part #50) located inside the tunnel, near the driveshaft. Take the chaincase cover off and inspect the inside parts. You don't want anything to fall into the chaincase while riding...

Turns out the bolt and washer securing the end of the reverse shaft through the cover were missing (20 and 21). A 3/4" 5/16 grade 8 bolt and washer. At $.19 the cheapest repair I've ever made. Thanks for the help.