• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Iron Range OHV Rec. Area?

BobT

Been thinking about planning a ride this summer and I was browsing the information about the Iron Range OHV Recreation Area near Gilbert on the DNR HSOforum today .

I thought that place was a privately owned business but it appears that it might be state funded as the HSOforum indicates there are no general admission or user fees.

Is this correct?

How are the ATV trails at the site?

Is it worth the trip up there?

Bob

The Gilbert OHV Park is a GIA (Grant-In-Aid) OHV area. I'm not aware of any user fees and from reports I've heard is it's well worth the time to make the trip up there. Of the pics I've seen, there's some very nice scenic overlooks.

One thing to note, if there's anything white on your clothing or your machine, it will be pink/orange by the end of your ride. That mud/clay is tough to clean off.

Nemadji has some of the same mud/clay, but it's not quite far enough North. I know others have posted ways of minimizing the effects of the mud/clay, hopefully they'll reply.

It is funded by the DNR and there is not fee to get in. Before entering you have to pass a sound inexpection. Which is, you have to ride over to the DNR shack have the DNR guy come out with a DB sound meter, give your machine quarter throddle and you have to be below the state regulation on that. Then he'll slap on a DNR sticker that says you passes the test.

As far as the trails, there is alot of hill climbs. And one way trails. Some of it can be pretty extreme. I've rolled my machine down a hill up there nearly killing me. Best way to describe it is through youtube video. Oh and the red mud is hard to wash off.

I'm quite familiar with the rust-stained, red clay soil. I grew up in Kinney, which is about 8 miles west of Virginia, lived in Eveleth for about 10 years, worked at the Minorca Mine north of Virginia for four years, and left the area in 1990.

Nemadji, eh? Might have to check that one out too.

Thanks,

Bob

My wife and I went to Gillbert 2 summers ago. It was OK. Nothing to get too exited about but I would go again. I have also heard there are alot of other great trails on county land in the area.

If you have a loud pipe on your wheeler? You might not pass the DB sound meter. I barely made it with a 500 Polaris Scrambler with a Hot Seat Performance Pipe and Muffler on it. They got out there book and a Electric Tack to get the listed RPMs and I just made it. Heres a tip, pack some steel wool in your muffler, drive nice up there to the gate and you will pass. LOL

I have some property adjacent to the park on the east side and we ride in there all the time. You can ride all day and still not cover it all. Everything from hills, mud, rocks to trails. They are in the process of opening another park on the north side of Gilbert, east of Virginia which will be 3 times bigger then Gilbert's and there are plans to have an under the highway crossing to reach it form Gilbert. The campgrounds in Gilbert is a great place to stay. Swimming in Lake-ore-be-gone is quite an experiance, very cold!!!! North of 135 has some great trails, but they have opened a new mine there and closed off alot of the area for riding.

does the gilbert pit offer much for the sport rider( jumps or racing areas)?

Hey dozer nice iron you got there in your avitar jd 850j with a 3 shank maybe? ok sorry for getting off topic got to love a fellow dirt guy in a nice piece of iron.

Yup that was a demo model we had a couple years ago! Didnt get to keep though, got sent back to my old 850c.

A planned 2,500-acre addition to the Iron Range Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area (OHVRA) just east of Virginia will be discussed a public meeting on Friday, Feb. 6, at 6 p.m.

The OHVRA Advisory Committee and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) invite the public to attend and provide input.

The 11-member OHVRA Advisory Committee will discuss plans for developing and using this new 2,500-acre site near Virginia. Project planners will report on issues and options people have shared so far during the plan review.

When completed, the Gilbert and Virginia sites will be linked via an off-road trail under Highway 135. Both sites will feature recreational trails and riding areas specially designed for OHV use. Construction on the Virginia addition to the OHVRA is expected to begin in late 2009, following revisions to the facility’s original master plan and completion of project environmental review.

The DNR HSOforum has a map of what they plan on doing. I can't wait for them to get started.