• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My fish, N video link

Laska

So here's my 7-8lb, 30 1/2" Northern I got, I speared it in the head where I aimed so It wouldn't have the chance to shake off.

Youtube link:

100_1017.jpg

another pic

100_1018.jpg

pic of the fish in the hole, right bottom corner.

100_1014.jpg

Last Saturday when I got my limit.

p_00110.jpg

Nice fish and laugh vid. No acting there! Typical spearing tho and it just about always seems like something goes in the hole or is in the way for a good shot. One thing is you should try and hit them right behind the head with the center tine so it breaks the spine and takes some of the fight out of them. More practice I guess?

Need to put the spear in the water before you throw it! you will have alot more luck getting fish without the splash from the spear hitting the water.

Cool Video and Nice looking Fish

If ya check the vid again the spear was in the water, you can tell by the refraction, it was 4" above the spear head, the splash came from the knot at the end of the spear, wish I could get a better quality upload its perfect on my computer n you can see every little detail.

The language couldnt be helped I didnt even know my gf was recording lol thought she was just takiing pictures like I had the camera set up for! But all in all I found the video exciting and funnier than shoot cuz I could hear myself saying "theres goes my pole, then later "I saved my pole!!"

The grunt is something I just do I think, no matter how light I push the spear, I always do it for some reason.

As for where I hit it, I aimed right at the head, I was worried that a fish that size would shake off because of a past incident where I did hit it right behind the head and it shook off even tho it was a diff spear it still makes me nervous cuz I dont want to end up killing a fish cuz it shakes off n swims away and die. if that makes sense to you guys.

I gotta hammer handle on sunday, so now Im 5/5 with my new spear, My gf had about a 10lber come in for her first fish n she missed I thought she nailed it in the head but when the water clear there was nothing there. I woulda mounted it for if she did get it, just because it woulda been her very first northern n even a fish like that on a wall would be a good talking piece! Still proud of her tho for trying!

o man do I ever!

I just had to laugh, thats exactly the way it goes in my house too!! Nice to see you really get into it.

o man do I ever! Im nice n calm til the spear goes through the fish then its whoopin and hollerin no matter what size fish, I find this sport entertaining n a big challenge Im just greatful to be able to have the oppurtunity to spear and keep the sport alive aswell as share my experience with all the guys on this forum.

Worried about shaking off use a gaf on them to lift them out. They seem to go extra nuts when they break the water. Once they have been pinned on to the spear just short of lifting them out of the water you know it's going home with you.

Hey I used the very same words when I dropped my fish say through the hole last time I went out. I was lucky that it stuck in the upright position and was able to hook the safety rope and pull it back out. I will be putting a larger rope around it for next time. The oem rope doent fit around my hand.

I've had much better luck behind the head/gills. Bounced too many off the skull where there's nothing to hold unless you really drill them. Glad you've been on the mark lately, beats kicking yourself after you miss!

hahaha yeah, I did drill him, when thru between the eyes and nostrils, I kinda like hittin em in the head cuz I know there not coming off, but I have gotten 3/6 behind the head and no struggles what so ever... Guess either way works really, I prefer just being able to bring them up no matter which way I hit um smile