• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newbie question

I have been a LONG time lurker with this forum and amazed at the images I see daily! To my question...I have the opportunity to purchase a used Canon 70-200L IS USM lens. What should I be looking for when buying used? Thanks in advance!

First off thanks for jumping and joining in all the fun here! Let me give you some of the things I look for in used equipment, specifically lenses.

-Check it over for dents or scratches on the body.

-Look over the switches and make sure they work, they are tight and not loose.

-Check over the focus and zoom rings, they should be snug and move freely and without any binding.

-Look for dust inside the elements, a small amount is really not a big deal. Also look for fingerprints, fungus or any other growth inside the lens.

-Move the aperture ring and check to see that the blades move freely and open and close. There should be no binding here either.

-Lastly put the lens on the camera and check the autofocus out, should be smooth and relatively fast on that lens. Take a few shots at its minimum aperture and take a look at the photos zoomed in 100%. You can take a picture of a dollar bill laying flat and you holding the lens at about a 45 angle. This can help show if you have back or front focus.

Canon lenses have a date code that is imprinted on the mount. There are a few sites that will decode that and tell you the date of manufacture. Thats about all I can think of off hand others may have pointers.

Here is a table of Canon date codes. Put a "U" in front of the initial letter to get the right read. So UA is 1986. Prior to that, the U was after the other letter, so if you have an AU, it's 1960. U stands for a specific plant of manufacture. There are two other plants that have different letters, but I've only ever seen and heard of the U on U.S. Canon lenses.

A = 1986, 1960

B = 1987, 1961

C = 1988, 1962

D = 1989, 1963

E = 1990, 1964

F = 1991, 1965

G = 1992, 1966

H = 1993, 1967

I = 1994, 1968

J = 1995, 1969

K = 1996, 1970

L = 1997, 1971

M = 1998, 1972

N = 1999, 1973

O = 2000, 1974

P = 2001, 1975

Q = 2002, 1976

R = 2003, 1977

S = 2004, 1978

T = 2005, 1979

U = 2006, 1980

V = 2007, 1981

W = 2008, 1982

X = 2009, 1983

Y = 2010, 1984

Z = 2011, 1985

All this being said, make sure you ask what the date code is, or ask for a pic of the date code. It's stamped on the part of the lens that locks onto the camera. Simple age in some circumstances is no reason to dump a lens purchase. I used a 70-200 f2.8L that was 12 years old for a year, and it was a stellar piece of glass that showed no differences from new lenses I'd borrowed/rented.

Nevertheless, if you don't know the buyer personally, any older piece of glass may have been through several owners and been treated harshly, so caution is a good idea.

Well, pulled the trigger and purchased the lens, 70-200 f2.8L IS, $800 well spent I hope. Now to shoot lots of images at my daughters hockey tourney this weekend to figure things out. The lens is in mint shape, date code of UU. Looked at the things you guys mentioned and all functions worked very well. I do know the person I purchased it from so I know it was taken care of. Thanks again for your guidance! I'll be asking about taking sports pics next!

I thought so as well. His kids had graduated and no longer wanted to shoot wrestling meets, this gave him the opportunity to get out of that and sort of "pass the torch" to someone who wanted to get quality pictures of local sporting events. I can't wait to see this things potential!