• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fly Rod Blank for Sturgeon Rod

You could hang on to them once you get a hook-up, but you sure won't be telling him where to go. Compare your fly rod blank to a musky blank - you tell me which would make the best sturgeon rod...

If yours was a 12 or 13w blank, maybe. 10w is just not going to have enough backbone to haul them up.

If you have caught sturgeon you should have a descent idea of what your looking for in power and action for casting your bait, setting the hook, reeling the fish in, etc.

I fly fish with a 9wt for muskie and its got plenty of backbone to land them with the fly, line and leader situation I use. Remember, they have a much more whippy tip than most conventional rods. Doug Stange mentioned in an article how he uses a fly rod blank for casting big rubber baits and such for muskies.

Casting portion of a 10 wt fly line = 350 grains, 350 grains = .8 ounces. So your 10 wt fly rod would handle about 7/8 ounces of lead and be a fairly heavy spinning rod. Not sure what your average Sturgeon rod would equate to but that would handle a pretty big fish.

Edit: I got those numbers off a quick web search so don't beat me up if they are a little inaccurate. The theory behind it does work out.

I've caught sturgeon before and in my experience if you get a big one on your not telling it where to go regardless of what rod you're using.

I was thinking that the rod tip would be great for detecting bites, but wasn't sure if I could lob 3oz. of lead 30ft w/ it, and I was worried that the butt section would be inadequate for sturgeon on a shorter rod, but the 10' of leverage would make up for some of the stoutness.

More thoughts?

I just happen to be building 3 new rods for the sturgeon excursion.

IMO there is 2 critical parts of a good sturgeon rod.

1- The tip needs to be soft enough to detect bites.

2- You need the back bone to handle a 60” + fish.

Cast ability is not important (just like in cat fishing) most use a bait and wait technique.

I typically put the bait over the side of the boat and open the bale or use a lob cast. You can do that with a broom handle with guides on it.

I have an 11w 12’ fly rod built spinning and there is no way I would use it for sturgeon. The blank in it is way too soft in the middle.

I have put a lot of time looking for the “best” blank for this and this year will be the big test.

What I built covers 2 extremes. 2 are lighter tips with a so so back bone and the other has a faster tip with a hearty back bone

The 2 are Rainshadow RDR86MH 8’6”. They are a graphite glass composite and retail for under $50.

I have one casting that I have been using for cats for some time and have done some sturgeon with it and like it. There are a couple of FMers that have them also (maybe they can chime in)

I also built one spinning that my wife will be using for the excursion.

The 3rd one it a test rod and will remain unnamed. smile