• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Open water walleye tourneys?

I think the best advice for getting started is to fish smaller tournaments on lakes you know. Lake associations, bait shops, and resorts are good places to find these types of tournaments. It's a good way to learn to deal with the "pressure" that comes with needing to catch fish, and to develop some tournament strategy (like stick with what works or go look for fish, try to catch large numbers vs. try to catch large fish, etc). You want to have fun and learn while you're tournament fishing, if you're going to get down on yourself if you don't cash a check then maybe it's something you should think about before you sign up.

The Full Throttle tournaments are all close, affordable, and a good group of people. Meetings are Friday evening at local church with a meal included, and the tournaments are 1-day team events with championship in the fall. If you want to try as a co-angler first the FLW tournaments are a draw to fish with a different person each day, and a good way to get the feel for it.

I agree with PerchJerker in that you should start out small or do the co-angler thing first. People don't realize how much work is involved in a one-day, let alone two-or-three day tournament. I started out small, and worked my way up. The more you fish for, the higher the pressure to cash checks/win, especially with sponsors involved. Just my two cents, but good luck to you in what ever endeavor you choose. Remember to have fun!

Consider the Walleye Classics----Lake Minnewaska Fall Walleye Classic in Glenwood, MN, Sept. 12-13, 2009, and the Alexandria Chain of Lakes Spring Walleye Classic on June 5-6, 2009, in Alexandria, MN. Easy travel into central / west-central Minnesota on I-94. Beautiful fisheries and quality fishing experiences. Fish one or both tournaments. Open to all teams. Divisions within the overall tournament include---Husband/Wife or Boyfriend/Girlfirend or Father/Son/Daughter. These are highly competitive tournaments. Reasonable entry fees and nice paybacks. Check HSOforum at www.[YouNeedAuthorization].com for more info. Regardless what tournament(s) you fish in 2009 have fun and enjoy the experience / opportunity on the water. You will meet new friends wherever you go and you will undoubtedly learn from the experience. If you are completely new to the tournament scene consider local tourneys in your area or close by as others have stated to get familiar with the rigors of tournament fishing so you know what to expect as you expand your horizons. Good luck in your 2009 fishing pursuits.

Corey Bohn

-2009 Alexandria Chain of Lakes Spring Walleye Classic June 5-6

-2009 Lake Minnewaska Fall Walleye Classic Sept. 12-13

If you are near Ottertail County in June you might want to consider the West Battle Lake Walleye Tournament hosted by the Lion's club there. This year it is June 27th and 28th.

I have fished it a few times and had a great time as it is well organized by those guys. This year is the 25th Annual so they say they are going to try to make it the best one yet.

Pool 4 has numerous tourneys throughout the summer.

The first one is the "Freeze Your Butt" The first Saturday of March. The entry fee is only 20.00 plus 5.00 big fish pot and they pay back to 5 places or so. To me this tournament is the official start of Spring!

mw

I am the Vice president of the Lake Shetek walleye Tournament We have out tournament the weekend after the opener. this year will be our 19th annual. We are a small locale tournament we average about 100 boats. 2 persons per boat. Our entry fee is $60.00 per boat with first place taking home $1500.00 based on 100 boats.I will give you any information you need just e-mail me at sar2635@yahoo,com or call 507-220-5232

Jimmys Pizza - Little Crow Anglers 30th Annual Green Lake Walleye Tournament

Green Lake, Spicer, Mn. May 30&31 2009

Team entry fee $300 per 2 person team. Friday night banquet included in entry fee. (1st – 3rd place Guaranteed)

Guarantee does not reduce pro-rated payout & places 1st $3000, 2nd $2000, 3rd $1500. $12000 total payout with pay back to 11th place based on 50 boats.

Entry forms available immediately from Kurt Novotny, [email protected], 320-235-1109.

I am the Director of The City Auto Glass Walleye Classic on Lake Vermilon. Our event is the 16th of May. Our entry is $400 per boat, and our 1st place prize is $10,000. You can check us out at www.cagwalleyeclassic.com . We have a nice banquet that is included in your entry the night before, and we have other goodies cash and prize for participants.