• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

panfish perch lakes

jeffrey dean

Funny, you're wanting to come up here to fish, and I'm thinking of making a long weekend trip down to Lake Okoboji. The grass is always greener..... wink

I wouldn't come down to 'boji if I was you. Its way too crowded and the fishing isn't nearly as good as people make it look. grinwhistlewink

Not to dispute NWBuck ;), but unfortunately the Waubay area is not what it was 4-5 years ago. The panfish lakes he is referring to have been virtually cleaned of their beautiful big bluegills and crappie. There are still a few there, but numbers are waaayyy down, not to mention perch numbers are down. That is home fishing grounds for me, and I'm not even making a trip up there this winter. frown Lack of rising water levels in the spring have prevented a good spawn for perch for the last 7 years, and the main populations have been hit hard. I've been trying to get a good report from that area from some friends that ice fish it 3-4 days a week, and the fish just aren't there this year. Good luck wherever you go.

Selmer

blush

Didn't mean to give away your local hotspots Selmer...reports from local guys who have been there recently are indicating decent fishing again for those with high quality waypoints grin Last group had perch limits 3 days of 4 and blizzard conditions prevented them from getting where they wanted on the one day they didn't limit.

Dangit! You have to realize that I'm still remembering the glory days of when I was in college and the perch limits were 25/day and anything under 12" went back in the hole. Have any of your friends been catching 'gills up in that region? There's really only one good 'gill lake up there, maybe two.

Selmer

NW,

There are two lakes up there 5 miles apart that used to be FANTASTIC gill lakes. Dad and I could go up and limit on 8" gills almost at will. We wouldn't often take limits home, lots of catch and release, but they were so much fun to catch. The big gills have been cleaned out pretty hard, and this used to be one of the largest natural lakes in SD before the waters came up in the 1990s. Perch and walleye fishing are still good, but nothing on par with what I was lucky to get in on when I had lots of time and little responsibilities in HS and college. 5 days a week on the water, hard or wet, was not uncommon for us. I still look back on the pics we took and shake my head wondering if it was real...