• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New To Ice Fishing. . .HELP!!!!!

I am brand new to ice fishing and excited to get started!!! Any beginners tips from the experts??? We are planning on going to Green Lake in Spicer tomorrow. . .anyone heard how the bites are over there???? THANKS!

dont go up fishing there much anymore , tip of the day is , is when the ind is blowing over 20 mph nevwer [PoorWordUsage] in the wind, hopefully that helps.

But go with a small shiner or fathead or minnow that always helps me when catching some kind a fish or a turtle.

decoygal1 - welcome to FM to the womens forum but most all to the awesome sport of ice fishing !!!!

read thru the forums and you will get a wealth of informationn, and always feel free to ask questions.

I have never fished Green lake but have wanted too. I've heard good things about it.

Welcome. My tip, start small, I'm finding buying ice fishing gear, well any type of fishing gear, get's kind of addicting smile. I've just started with a rod and reel and have been slowing adding to my collection of gear. I got some help from a great guy on here too, I think he's added more to my collection than I have grin.

I have to agree with mngirl. Start small because the purchasing of fishing gear is very addicting. The first year that I went out I bought the shack, rods, hand ice auger but then the gas powered one when the ice got over 18" thick, and an Aqua vu camera. Since that time I continuously add more jigs, a flasher, etc, etc...

Find someone that has it all and borrow... smile

Hi decoygal1!! Welcome!!

I love how everyone gives you the same sentence-be careful because icefishing is addicting! It is so true!!

Go with someone who has some gear. Like an auger and a warm ice house. That's how I started. I think if I'd froze my keister off the 1st time on the ice, I wouldn't have returned. I was also brought up to URLin 2000 and slammed the crappies and that was THE MOST AWESOME 1ST ICE EXPERIENCE! Don't stop jigging and if you're not getting bites, tie something else on. Try new lures. Drill more holes. Stay mobile. That's what works for me! Hope you're trip was fun!

cant argue with ya on that one. have you been to deer river lately? i went up with a friend of mine this past weekend. he helped me blow the snow out of the road going in. 2 guys took 7 hours each before we were done and i spent another 3 pulling snow off the roofs of our buildings. if it wouldnt of been for him and some of hie equipment he took up we would of never got it done. we did go to winnie sun am. no perch i caught and released a 25 inch eye and buddy got a 3lb nord. got some crappies on our lake, small but tasty. ran into jigglestick. on the way home by the bowstring store seen a deer in the ditch snow up to its belly. funny thing is it doesnt look that deep driving up there.

never doubted the info anyone gave me, but a real reality check. its been quite some time since we have seen snow like that. good think the temps were decent so you could be outdoors. looks like the temps are headed double digit below for lows agian by the weekend. GEEEZZZ. eeksickfrown