• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eagle temps

John Mikes

Hi John. Welcome to HSO/FM! Great to have you here. smilesmile

I don't have that level of data, but I've seen eagles eating road-killed deer at -30 before. The eagles that winter up here along the BWCAW (numbers vary from year to year) don't pay much attention to open water, which is almost non existent, but depend on road kill.

We hit -36 about 3 a.m. when I was up feeding the wood furnace, but the NWS site doesn't have a temp reading available right now. It's generally coldest around sunrise.

You guys are downright balmy in the southern lands. gringrin

You guys are downright balmy in the southern lands. gringrin

Twas a relatively mild -9 in the urban heat dome this morning. Made my fingers tingle just looking at the thermometer. But what was really depressing was the thought that before the economic news turned ugly we had planned a vacation to south Texas, and our original plan would've had us at South Padre Island today. Where the high is expected to be +72.

As for eagle activity and temps, I've been sitting in blinds on open water lately on days that have ranged up to about +5, and the eagles just haven't moved. I've sometimes counted as many as 30 birds sitting in the trees, but that's all they've done. Last week I sat for four hours one morning and never clicked a shutter, since those little-white-dot-in-tree shots aren't very satisfying. So I was wondering if there might be certain temps where the birds might be more active and I could get some fishing shots. If so then I could spend my cold weather mornings on something more productive, like sitting by the fire processing eagle shots.

Well, I'm not an expert... but my experience has been that when its cold they are active moreso in the AM and at the end of the day. I generally travel to open water locations when it is frigid as thats where you will find active hunting Eagles.

On a different note: I do have recent experience with Rough Legged Hawks and the area I'm hanging out they have been just sitting in tree's on really cold days and on warmer days with a breeze they will be more active.

I'm pretty sure when its as bitter as it is right now, nothing is comfortable or overly active burning anymore calories than they have to to survive.