• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shedding problems inside dog

labsareus

I am looking for help as our 11 month old Lab is in jeopardy

with the wife. He has always shed some but lately we are finding that it has gotten worse. He is healthy and he doesn't lose any big clumps, just a constant cleanup on the floors etc.

Are there cycles that dogs go through or will this likely continue ? We brush him regulary and this helps for a day or so.

Has anyone tried the No Shed suppliments ? Any truth to the sales claims ?

Actually, the dog is probably safe but I might be sleeping outside for bringing him home unless I figure something out !

I have the furminator for my 2 labs and it works great. You will fill up bag after bag of hair to start but after a while it will be done. I found the brush on [YouNeedAuthorization] for alot cheaper than at any store. I recommend the yellow one for labs.

I will be buying a Furminator also and have heard they work great. They are a little spendy, but probably not much more than the other couple brushes combined that we have so far purchased. My 11 month old black lab is shedding also right now. We vacuum every other day if not more and have been brushing him every day, and we seem to get more hair each time.

I have 2 friends that have taught their labsw to love being vaccumed. One had to do this in order to keep his dog in the house. They run the vaccuum over him once a day to remove loose hair and directly into the vaccuum. Works flawlessly! Use patience and work the routine in slowly over a couple weeks. Use a lot of positive re-inforcement and make it a 'fun' thing for the dog.... thye will literally come running when they hear the vaccuum fire up so they can get their daily dose of attention.

Good Luck!

Ken

I tried to say where you could get the real furminator for much cheaper in an earlier post but i guess i cant use the name but if you go to a internet auction site, you can find some for about half the price or so.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I will try the Furminator this weekend. The vacuum thing is a no go for my pup as he hides as soon as it comes out !! We used a different tool to brush him last weekend (3 times) and it made a real difference, so it has to be excess hair that can be reduced. Bottom line is that Mom is happier and both my pup and I can rest easier !!

My lab will be one year next Tuesday and has been scared of the vacuum his whole life, until the past couple weeks. He now gets right up to it and sniffs it. I just use lots of positive reinforcement and talk to him while I use it.

That would be the easy way to get the hair off a dog though.