• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is it ever too cold for outside dogs?

Iron Cowboy

I have a 9 month old British Lab that has been an outside only dog since born. I have him an insulated A frame type dog house with straw in it. So far this year he's been just fine outside but with the coldest temps in a couple years forcast im a little nervous about leaving him out. I have heard that it can be harder on them now though to spend the night in the entryway once they have adapted to the cold? Was wondering what others do with outside dogs when its this cold?

i really have neaver had a problem. i just make sure their is enough blankets in her dog house and also i have a small heater in her dog house too. but if i get a very strong west wind and is super cold outside i will bring her in the garage that's heated but only up to 45 degrees. so it's not too bad.

if your dog is a outside dog and you bring them into you house. yes it will be uncomfortable for them cause they have a thick coat to keep them warm and you bring them into a warm house. that will make them very uncomfortable.

Is the house situated so the wind can't blow into the entrance? Thats the key. If hes been outside all winter he should be fine.

I prefer the house plans where there is a partition down the middle where the dog goes around and then is for sure out of the wind. Even then I like it so that the doghouse is inside my shed, no wind to worry about except around the entry way.

One of the biggest things is to be sure the bedding is dry. Animals can take some serious cold as long as they can stay dry. I would always let my lab sleep on the entry porch floor when it gets cold like they are predicting. The floor was always cool and she never seemed uncomfortable to me.

Our Brit, who will run around while I am shoveling snow without any worries, has my wife fooled into thinking he needs to sleep in the house at night. I don't mind it but it is pretty funny, she thinks that his kennel that is in the garage (insulated and sheetrocked) with a heat lamp and blankets isn't warm enough. I just laugh. I would bring him in, but that is just me. Love having the dog sit around with me at night in the basement and watch tv.

My dogs stay outside pretty much at any temp. They have a nice insulated and sealed house, about 4 cubes of cedar chips and about a 19" neck on the door way leading threw the fence and into the kennel. When I built this house, I did not even put a flap on the door. I just knew it would be gone with-in days grin They are also back in a wooded area, where it does not get any straight wind. Plus the area they sleep/nest in is a dog leg right from the neck leading into the house. They stay warm.

I will bring them in when it gets to be -30 to -40 below. This is more for me than the dogs I would guess. I have a heated garage and I always wondered if bring them in out of that cold to the heat and then sending them back out after to the cold again would have any affect on them. All I can say is no. Get them open fresh water every day and keeping them feed good is another key that helps them survive the cold.

my 2 labs are year round house dogs. winter to cold summer to hot and bugs. dont want them bitten up. ok enough excuses to have them in the house, i find i interact and spend more time with them when they are around us inside. and i have not seen that affect there hunting abitilies.