• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The red heads of the bog

Jim Almquist

I have 5 of these guys at my feeder daily right now and I'm in Eagan. They showed up Sunday. I seem to gain 1 or 2 a day, only saw a pair on Sunday.

I didn't see any last year. Definitely from out of town. Any movement sends them flying. Should have my camera by Thursday. I'll try and get some shots and try and figure out how to post.

For all, this is one of my favorite forums on the site. Keep bringing the great pictures!

My wife said she saw something she hadn't seen before too. Looked through our book and it was a red pole!! I'm in Bloomington, and we had them here on Sunday also. I'll also try to get a pic of a red head of the "metro" to share.

We also have many red polls on our feeders this year, too many too count. they, along with other species clean me out daily ( getting spendy). also many woodpeckers on the suet this year, Downy, hairy, pileated, and several what I think are sap suckers. I thought woodpeckers were very territorial, but we have many pairs of the same species waiting for each other to get done at the suet feeder everyday. I dont have much for a camera but I will try to get some pictures and post them. we are able to get very close to the feeders while the birds are there.

eelpout1 I know what you mean about how spendy it can get. When black oil sunflower seeds dropped to $10 for a one day sale I picked up 250 pounds. I put up suet blocks back in mid-December and still have the same ones up and last year I went through at 20 by now but we don't have that many woodpeckers around and still have not seen any of the grosbeaks.

Jim,

I think that I have every hairy and downy woodpecker in Carlton county in my backyard, along with a small village of brown and white nuthatches. I have been getting those suet logs from super one and they last about 2-3 days and they're gone.

I'm bummed i missed the $10/bag sunflower sale cry Was it at l&m or the feed store?

Sorry you didnt pull anything outta our holes, did you see any??

Xplorer The seed sale was on New Years day only at L & M. We do have the nuthatchs come around and every now and then a downy but no hairys.

I did see 4 fish and 2 of them came in fast but did not hit and followed for about 10 feet and then straight back to the bottom.