• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Can you find sunnies in deeper water where there is no weed cover?????

The reason I ask is because I moved my house to an area where there was fewer weeds and I caught a few sunnies and more crappies, and lots of perch and I was fishing over 14 FOW. Last week I moved to where there is more weeds approx 2 feet off the bottom and the crappie action has slowed, and the small sunny action has increased. What should I look for as far as a happy medium goes in general as far as structure and depth go?

One of the lakes I fish for bluegills/sunnies is a reservoir. Around mid-lake there is a bottleneck, so to speak, where the channel comes through. The channel bottom is about 20-22 fow depending upon the year, and slopes upwards on each side. There are no weeds within at least 50 yards, and I catch almost all of my bluegills during mid-day in this deeper area. Near dark, when they start slowing down, I follow them to shallower water and weeds and catch them until about an hour after dark.

A lot depends on food. Soft botom areas which often describes midlake basin are a haven for insect life. As the winter progresses these can be very productive areas for gills until they make the shallow move again.