• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Attempt #1

dufek

I donated 3 of my 8 hours to carp fishing yesterday and got a big zero. Tried a spot that I have done well at in the summer and a spot that has produced carp by accident late ice. One spot I fished 5-11 FOW the other was a 9-10 ft flat. I have a couple other spots in mind that I'll be trying tomorrow that run a little deeper.

Dufec, I'm glad you put the time in. I whimped out tonight and went for crappie, even though I found a spot to start my ice carping. My spot is on a local creek, deeper hole and channel connected to mud flats. They gotta be there!

What were you using for bait and did you see or mark any fish?

Had to come into work today so attempt #2 is changed to tomorrow. I tried corn and crawlers, I marked 2 big fish in mid water column but I have a feeling those had very large teeth. Nothing towards the bottom.

An angler in NH who has cracked the ice carp code in his waters said he baits with high protein ground bait...... but I think e has had luck with corn on a tip up.

he drills three holes in a triangle, then uses a spud to make a large triangle to land his fish. he got 34lb carp last year through the ice.

I might bait with potato cubes and bird seed..... in addition to the corn

good luck!

Next attempt went about the same. I did have something come in this time. As it went past my hole bubbles were comin up the marcum screen. Coulda been a kitty, carp, sheephshead, etc... This was in 23ft of water. Stuck it out for two hours but no luck. I got one last spot to try and then I'll be waiting til late ice for another go.

As I was driving down the hwy to check out a carp spot yesterday... I passed a small pond where I flyfish for carp in the spring. On a whim I pulled off and took out my auger and marcum. I found no water deeper than 3.5ft! and the bottom is thick ooze. Not what I was hoping for. I guess the dirty dirty water made it seem like there was a hole, alas there is not and they must migrate in from a nearby drainage. ended up hitting yet another lake for crappie.

this weekend plan B

23fow? pretty cool, sounds like the potential for "others" is high too. I am concentrating on deep pools in a creek and shallower bays and backwaters for my carp, and I have a feeling I'll either catch carp or nothing else (maybe some sweet big bullheads?)

good luck

Well, good luck then! I hope to see iced buff pics soon! I have never heard of one caught through the ice before. That would be awesome. If you have luck, I am for sure going to have to drive up there and jump on that bandwagon!!!!!!!

no luck today, I was in a spot that had some fish near the bottom coming in. Hooked up with one of them and lost it half way up the hole. Who knows what it was, but it wasn't a dink perch. Ending up moving spots after an hour of not catching anything. I'll give it a shot a few more times this winter before it's time to hit the rivers again in the spring.