• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big mud tires, trouble using chains?

ZEEK1223

I have a atv with big knobby tires. The chains always seem to rest in between the knobs. I loosened the chains, and now they at least seem to get out beyond the knobs. Do I need to buy different tires for winter? I have the chains now where they kind of swing out of the knobs, and grab on the ice. Is this right? Should the chains be somewhat loose? Thanks

If you're willing to purchase different tires for winter, I would recommend something along the lines of the Holeshot ATR or anything else that provides a shallower lug.

You'll get a shallower lug allowing for your chains to ride out side the lug pattern. You also get a radial tire that will allow you to have a better contact patch for a little better flotation in the snow.

What tires work best in snow conditions can be a lengthy topic. I have seen the Maxxis Bighorns in the snow and work very well without chains. The only issue would be when your on ice, then chains are a necessity with any tire.

Other tires that would be in my consideration would be somthing that shares similar characteristics with the tracks on a snowmobile. Something along the line of Realtors. They are more of a straight bar type lug that spans the entire width of the tire. It's also a shallower lug that might work well with chains. Another thing that theoretically would help in snow is the open area between the lugs allowing for compaction of the snow and the full width lugs allowing for a good bite in the compacted snow.