• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Skyscrapers (added photo's)

OK, so let's go with suggestions for ultra-wide lenses similar to the Canon 10-22. These are designed specifically for the 1.6 crop Canon sensor like the one you have. On a Canon 1.3 crop or full-frame sensor, they would not work.

All three are a couple hundred dollars less than the Canon 10-22. All three get very good reviews for sharpness and other aspects of image quality.

All three translate (with the 1.6 crop factor) to a widest angle of 16 to 18mm, whereas the 18-55 will only get you to about 26-27mm at widest.

Sigma 10-22

Tamron 10-24

Tokina 12-24

Actually, the 18-55mm computes to 29mm, at it's widest. grin

However, it's still considered wide angle, just not ultra wide, and at hundreds of $$$ les than the above metioned lenses. It all depends on your targeted use and amount of use, you expect to get out of the lens.

X, thanks for doing the actual mathematical multiplication instead of relying on my guesstimate. smile

Since DeeDee said she didn't have a wide angle lens and then listed the 18-55 as her widest lens, I figured to offer some wider options with very good reputations that are less expensive than the equivalent Canon. Unfortunately, none of the ultra-wides are cheap.

The first time I shot at an actual 16-17mm, a whole new world of interpretation and expression opened up for me, but for sure ultra-wide angle isn't everyone's bag.

DeeDee, hope we're helping you figure things out a little bit. I will say that the sensor on that XT is capable of stunning photo quality, and the best glass you can afford will help bring it out. smilesmile

You are helping a great deal I have already started pricing the ones you suggested. Here is one example, I was able to get the whole bldg in but at a bad angle. There was alot of construction so I couldnt get in front of it with out losing half the bldg or getting hit by a crazy cab driver.

triptoNY079.jpg

here is a better example

triptoNY127.jpg