• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pt. labs

otis32

I have a pointing lab and he does great wit pheasants and i bring him duck hunting and does very well with that too. I would take a pointing lab over a regular lab or anyother pointer anyday of the week. Round Lake Kennels may have some if you are interested

When I was training my lab in October at the game farm, he would point a few times. When I took him to SoDak in November for his first hunt at 7 months old, he only pointed a few times for the 24 or so birds that wear shot over him, but when hunting there we're often getting dozens of birds up at a time.

On our December trip, the first day he didn't really have a chance to point, since 9 of us shot 4 shy of our limit in 30 minutes in one field. The next day though, my lab had 4 solid points. Coolest thing to see! For the hunting we do, I wanted a flusher/retriever, but I had hunted over pointers before and they are art in motion. If my lab turns into a pointing lab, even if just part time, I'll be thrilled.

I have a PL, he is 8 this year. He will point the bird if it sits still. If it moves, he is back to his natural flusher instinct. Pretty cool when a bird holds tight. Just don't expect it to happen in all situations. Thin CRP, standing corn etc.. If they can see it they will try and retreve it which means a flushed bird. Overall I think MY dog is a great dog most of the time, just like every other guy here. After you make your decision and bring the pup home, it will be YOUR great dog after a year or two. Duey still hasn't figured out the difference between a Hen and Rooster though, he likes em both.

otis, not to terribly far from you is a very respectable PL breeder with some of the most well known genetics. Check out Sauk River Retrievers near Osakis, they just updated their HSOforum with winter and spring litters. Shoot me an email if you have any questions on any particular litter from them or any other breeder. username at yahoo