• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Perch & Walleyes?

mnfisher22

for walleyes on my tippups i will either use a rainbow chub or a shiner and that works great for me. for walleyes on a rod i like to put a spoon on and tip it with the head of a fathead or red larvas. sometimes i will just tie on a plane hook and put a bobber on it and then put a whole fathead on it and let it sit. for perch i like to use small jigging spoons tipped with red larvas.

i usually use spoons like these on my rod for walleyes. and tip them with either red larvas or the head of a fathead

lindy_rattlinflyrspn.jpg

For tip ups I tend to use colored plain hooks, oranges, and yellows with a three foot florocarbon leader. I put a couple split shots a foot up from the hook and tip it with a shiner.

To jig I have done many different things. Jigging spoons tipped with a minnow head such as a buckshot spoon or sweedish pimple. Other times they prefer a whole minnow either a shiner or fathead. I have also been productive with just a plain hooks on my jig rod as well. Different glow jigs work well at times too angel eyes, forage minnows, frosties, etc. Glow red has been very productive

for me.

This set up has worked well for perch and walleye downsizing your bait/lure is often what you need to do if your targeting just perch but not always.

MN Angler

I use a plain hook tipped with a fathead. Shiners are a waste of money 9 times out of 10 for me. [mod edit] shiners are half dead by the time I am on the ice. Also, fatheads tend to out fish shiners for me when using tip-ups. I don't buy into the bigger the bait the bigger the fish methodology that so many believe.

I use a 3-4 foot 8lb mono leader with split shot 8 inches above the hook. amount of split shot depends on size of minnow used, as does hook size. I use plain hooks mostly. If you have multiple people, always get various sizes of minnows, because it very definitely does make a difference. sometimes fatheads work best, but other days the hog walleyes want a 6 inch sucker minnow or big Rainbow chub. After setting your tip-up and before putting it in the hole, test trip it by pulling on the line, to make sure the tipup trips easily and line comes off the spool smoothly. If it doesn't trip easy and line come off good, you can forget about catching any fish on that tipup. It might get tripped, but the fish will be gone.

i have good sucsses with perch by just using something like a genz worm tipped with red larvas or crappie minows. you can either jigg that or put a bobber on it and jig it every once in a while and let it sit.

this is what i like to use for perch. you can use them with or without a bobber

TG_Genz_Worm_colors.jpg