• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snomobile Mod Ideas

Fred_Bear

I'm looking ideas on putting a rack on the back of my fishing sled. Put a auger rack on last year and this year want to do a rack for hauling flasher, heater, or basically whatever I feel like.

Any ideas, experience, or pictures welcome... especially pics. Thanks

Rod - doesn't the rack system kind of defeat the purpose of having a sled style portable? I can see it for a Clam style or something. Also, how tippy is that thing loaded up? Seems that the center of gravity would be quite high? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea and it's a sweet setup - just thinking through the pros/cons...

Thanks.

I finally got this to work.This was made to hold a 20lbr & a bucket or gas can or cooler or whatever. It's simple but does the job.I can get two propane tanks in there also but it's a tight fit. In hindsight it should have been big enough to fit two milk crates another 1 1/2 would do it. It's bolted on so it could be removed.

PimpinthePorty003-1.jpg

PimpinthePorty004-1.jpg

PimpinthePorty002-2.jpg

Rod - doesn't the rack system kind of defeat the purpose of having a sled style portable? I can see it for a Clam style or something. Also, how tippy is that thing loaded up? Seems that the center of gravity would be quite high? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea and it's a sweet setup - just thinking through the pros/cons...

Thanks.

That system is for making BIG moves....one end of the lake to another, moving from flat to flat on Mille Lacs, that type of thing. Once I get to an area I want to work, I can unload the Trap and cover the smaller (relatively speaking) area on foot dragging the Trap. In fact, if the weather's nice enough, I don't even use the Trap for anything more than storage for my rods, tackle and electronics, beacuse I fish directly off the seat of the sled.

The center of gravity is a little high, so I had to add some weights low and up front. Add the weight of my StrikeLite in its rack on the front and it balances out pretty well.

The advantage to carrying my trap as opposed to towing it is that its not subjected to the rough ride that a towed Trap endures. The snowmobile's suspension protects the Trap and all its contents. This allows me to travel at top speed from 1 end of the lake to the other without having to worry that my rods or electronics will be broken when I get there. This is one of the reasons I prefer a sled over an ATV. I can cover the ice much faster, thus maximizing my fishing time.

Do some checking around.....I think you'll find a few guys using this same system that know WAY more about ice fishing than I do. wink

-Munchy