• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frost on the pumpkins...

Bob_D

We had a frost at the house last night. It's the first time we have dropped below freezing this season. I hope it stays cool....It will help keeps the skeeters off during bow season. grin.gif

Lake Champlain water temp is 63 degrees and falling. wink.gifgrin.gif

Thats good news! smile.gif

I just got back from Rainy Lake and the water temps were approaching 60 as well...

So, how's the ice fishing in VT? What species do you target the most?

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

Frost on the Pumpkins?....What Pumpkins? According to the StarTrib there is a shortage of Pumpkins this year and they might have to import some from some other state! Something to do with our dry weather this past Summer?

Someone better tell the farmers up off of #10 and off #169 to camofladge their fields, cause it sure looks like I can see alot of orange in those fields!

Blaine....Soon buddy....soon grin.gif

Matt,
The ice fishing in Vermont is very good. We can fish for just about any freshwater species. We normally get ~30-36" of ice by the end of the season. The species we can fish for include: Lake Trout, Land Locked Atlantic Salmon, Cusk (eelpout),walleye, Northern Pike, Chain Pickerel, LMB, SMB, bowfin, brook trout, rainbow trout, brown trout,rainbow smelt, perch, bluegill...the list goes on. I target pike and walleye the most. I also try and fish for smelt, salmon, and several different types of trout. I catch bass, pickerel, and perch (the occasional bowfin as well) as by catch while targeting other fish.

My pike spots are pretty good. It's more quantity the quality. Lots of small fish (16"-25")with some bigger ones mixed in. I probably get 4-6 a season over 36". For walleye the tend to be mostly 15"-23" with the occasional hog thrown in the mix.

The Grebe,
Dry????? Not out here in Vermont. It's been one of the rainest summers on record. Lake Champlain is about 3 feet above normal this year. I hope it is a nice cold and dry winter. grin.gif

Bob,
Thats a nice list of species! Looks like you have some excellent fishing opportunities in the winter out in VT. I fish a lot of crappies and bluegills here in MN, but catfish, walleyes, pike, perch, bass...get a lot of attention too smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

BobD....That is a pretty impressive list of target species! We have all except the Chain Pickeral and I would'nt be surprised if one turned up somewhere in the S.E. part of the state.

I believe that you have some very good Grouse and Timberdoodle hunting also, plus drop dead fall colors....We do to, (I'm not to sure about great Woodcock hunting, but we do get some.) two beautifull states, Minnesota and Vermont, lots of nature to take in!

Matt,
We have those species as well. Crappie tend to be hit or miss around here.....Other people hit...I miss. rolleyes.gif

If you ever make it out this way, let me know and I'll take you fishing. Just to warn you....You might want to come later in the season. My main pike spot is 1.3 miles out on the lake. It's a long walk when you can't drive out. grin.gif I don't mind....It give me some space to myself. wink.gif

The Grebe,
Yes, we do have grouse hunting. It goes in cycles so some years are better then others. The little buggers don't give you much time to shoot. I've only seen a couple of wookcock, but they may be more common in the southern part of the state.

We are lucky in the Western part of VT. Lake Champlain gives us a lot of options on what to fish for.

[This message has been edited by Bob_D (edited 09-20-2004).]