• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab started pointing?

00rowe

I have a 4.5 year old lab that decided he's a pointer this past weekend. He did once last year and this is the first time I've had him out much and he pointed on 3 different birds. Is this odd to start pointing at this age? I'm still not sure if he'll do it consistantly, but I'd love it if he does.

Mike

I've seen it happen many times. I don't think hes really pointing.

His excitement is up there, comes in close to a hidden and tight holding bird. So close that in many of his past experiences that close, the bird ran or flushed. Hes a bit perplexed at the holding bird, sort of a double take. Sooner or later the bird makes a move or the dog will.

I've had 2 labs that never pointed the 1st 5 years of hunting and became more and more 'pointers' as they aged...

Figuring out that holding a point on a holding bird may be less work...? I don't know. Why some develop the trait can only be done on specualtion.

Myself? I will never breed a Lab to be a pointing lab (that is just me, many prefer it), but it is fun when they do. If they do develop a pointing trait, I prefer they point on the tight holding birds and work as a flusher on the not so tight birds...

I once had a pic of my lab on point with an English Pointer honoring her.... wish I could find that pic again. But I haven't seen it in years.

Good Luck!

Ken

I was watching him very close on 2 of the "points" and he put the sneak on and really seemed to "point." I think part of this was he was a little worn out after a full day of hunting the day before so he was a little more methodical than is usual for him. The roosters ran out the end on almost all of my best fencelines, except for the one pointed on. It was very discouraging watching a birdy dog work a 1/4 mile fenceline to have the roosters run out the end, and only have shots at the hens. I was just happy to make a good shot on the pointed rooster, he seemed more excited than usual, at least I was. Thanks for the replies.

Mike