• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gear Change, Is it posible

I have a TREK 820 Bike. It has not been rode much latley. Now I do all of my riding on pavement and would really like the gear ratios to be better suited for that. Can anyone tell me if this is posible to change the gearing on either the pedals or the rear axel??

Thanks!!

For your help

You should be able to change both the front and rear sprockets to get the ratios you want, or at least close. You might not be able to get exactly what you want. If you know what ratios you want then figure out what gear sprockets you need to get you close to those ratios.

If you haven't already, I would put a pair of 1 1/2 inch tires on that have tread designed for pavement. You might even want to try that first. I have two wheel sets for my mountain bike, off road and slicks. I use the slicks when I am riding around town, they really reduce the rolling resistance. A tire change would definitely about the same price as changing out the rear cassette.

I see you're from Alex, the last time I got gas at Holiday down by the interstate I noticed a new Trek dealer in town. I have never done business there, but they should have someone there that could answer your questions. Good luck, and let us know how things turn out.

Exactly what yakfisher said, just replace your mountain bike treds with a pair of narrow(er) slicks. I've done this for my Trek and it works very well.

As for the bike shop in Alex, Yakfisher is talking about The Bike & Fitness Company. There are now two stores in Alex with the same name. George (the owner) is a well respected and trusted fellow biker that has run a shop in Alex for many years, and would be more than happy to help you out.