• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Saws

duck2

I am building my permanent shack and anticipate the task of reopening frozen holes in my ice house next season. Does anyone have any experience with using an ice saw to reopen frozen holes? I would like to avoid the gas fumes and the weight of lugging out the old power auger everytime I need to reopen the holes. I read the threads on the post regarding the Lazer hand augers. They sound like a nice solution, but I probably have the holes too close to the wall to crank a hand auger. Is the ice saw a practical solution?
Thanks

If I was going to invest in something just to reopen holes I would buy an electric auger. I have never used one but I would assume they aren't as heavy as a gas auger. Plus there is no exhaust. But I have never use an ice saw, and I don't think those are cheap either. Good luck.

Electric augers work pretty slick! And they are light and small enough to get into the ice house and open up holes. Only thing is you may have to carry a battery which isnt that bad. In my experience they cut through ice fast. Though i have no clue how much they cost so you may have to go to an auger site and check it out. Best of luck!

the answer to your question is yes, I have used mine to reopen holes and it works great, no slush on the floor! I dont let the holes get too far froze tho, (back the next day) or at the most 2 days. early ice way easier than late ice when starting w/10" hole.