• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Want to build a 8x12 take apart

Gus

I'm looking to build an 8x12 that I can take apart into 4x8 sections for storage and transportation. anyone have any ideas for me on how to accomplish this?

Hi, THIS MAY HELP..
I built a 6x8 three years ago that has worked quite well. First i built a base with 2x6's, put 2 2x6 skids on. floor is 6x4 to stand on and 6x2 open to ice.
I then got a 2"x2", 2"x4", 2"x6", 2"x8" and attached each on the sides of the base (each make the wall go up and additional 2 inches). I then built walls out of 2"x2"'s with 1/4 plywood and 1.5 inch pink hard insulation. each wall was apr 2 inches shorter than the next. Then hinged each of the walls on the corresponding 2x2-2x8 so that they all came to the same height when up. ( i had to calculate so when the walls fold down they would not hit the wall on the otherside). Then made a removable ceiling out of 2x2's/ 1/4 plywood (and pink hard insulation) , 2 sections of 6x4'.

when i take the shack apart i take off the ceiling, fold down the walls (one after another) then put the 2 ceiling pieces on top (for storage).
I transport on a snowmobile trailer, (winch it when i need to get it off the ice)

jIM

That sounds very interesting. You don't happen to have any pictures you could email me do you? This could be a way for me to go... Of course I would have to go smaller than 8x12, but that is possible. Most of the time I think I'll be fishing alone anyway. Maybe the dog. [email protected]

Thanks for the idea.

Gus
Like Perchman, I to made a take apart house. We made ours 8x8 and was trying to think of a way expand it to a 8x12, but we never did it. I don't have any pictures of it but if you want to leave an address, I can draw up some of the details on how we did ours and mail them to you, or we could get together and go through it.

KSW

Deeky,

Last time I priced things out I figured it would cost me about 300-500 in materials. that's with insulation and thinner probalby 1/4" plywood sides. and treated floor and roof. I'm probably going to deviate quite a bit from my last plan as I want to make this one that I can take apart for storage so I really don't have a closer estimate at this time. If you know anyone in the construction field you could probably dumpster dive for quite a bit of material. 10 years ago I built a 6x8 for free this way. I had to use "chipboard" sides so it didn't last more than three years but for free I was very happy.