• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 yamaha 650 classic hard to start/flooding/bad gas lines

JigginIsLife

So i just bought this motorcycle from my buddy and i have already encountered problems (good grief) anyways its cold blooded as heck, and it acts like its flooded even if it sits overnight with the gas shut off. also the gas lines are leaking, bad enough that i can see it in little drops around the timing screws(i think) anyways can this all be attributed to a carb problem or do i have more than i bargained for here. I havent talked to a yamaha dealer yet but that is soon to come. imthinking go through the carburater and new gas lines will be the route to take, but not 100% sure. anyone else have any ideas??

It sounds to me like you have a partially plugged pilot jet. Did the bike sit without being run for awhile? Chances are it may have had ethanol blended fuel, what goes bad fast. V star 650 is a super dependable bike, I am sure a carb clean and new fuel lines and it will be fine.

I would also suggest checking the needle valves to make sure they aren't stuck and whether or not the floats float. Also would be good to make sure they are floating at the correct level. If you still have a gas leak when the gas is shut off it may be a good idea to look at the petcock and gaskets inside it. The carb kits and petcock refurb kits are widely available on the internet.