• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Infection?

tealitup

My dogs upper neck on the bottom side. The fur was clumped together and smelled terrible. The fur had a yellow like substance (like puss) and smelled. This happened in one day - the night before she was fine. We did duck hunt this last weekend and Monday

I cleaned with soap and water; and cut the hair down to the skin. It was reddish and a little swollen.

I then put hydrogen peroxide - and it bubbled like crazy; dried it off and put neosporin over the area with puss.

This morning the puss was back and I did the same thing as the night before.

Any other suggestions?

Thats a good point Sabo. E-collars do need to be moved once in a while or they will wear through the skin at the contact points. I make sure to try to position the collar and move it throughout the day if the dog is wearing it all day or multiple days in a row.

That area has a fold in the skin. Air can't get at it so its a good spot for stuff to grow once theres some irritation. Not a lot of blood flow there either so once a staff infection sets in its that much harder to fight it.

Shaving the area will help, keep the collar off.

Cleaning is good but I don't think an ointment is a good idea.

Well not a greasy one that cuts off more air to the area anyway.

I think you'll need to see a vet and get a specific antibiotic.

well after two days the area is alot better then it was. The skin is a little "red" but the puss has stopped.

The collar has been off and we have not been in the field and most likely will skip this weekend.

She hates the hydrogen peroxide - but does not mind the neosporin. It is high on the neck, so she can not lick it. I did shave the area as best as i could.

I will let everyone know tomorrow.

do not continue to debride with peroxide... once or twice is fine, after that it is counter productive. Use warm water on wash cloths to draw out and keep the area clean... neosporin is generally good, allowing air to the area is also good. If in doubt have it checked out by the vet.

Good Luck!

Ken