• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hard Sided rod case

Dakota Iceman

I use a arrow (archery) case. looks just like the gun cases made of plastic. It has foam with slots cut into them to place your rods in. No tangling and nothing gets crushed and there is nothing for hooks to get tangled or "hooked" on. For $19.99 its kinda hard to beat, plus you can lock it. Thought i would post this as an alternative to the 40.00 or 50.00 they are asking for the soft sided cases on here. Iceman out>

Dakota: Don't [PoorWordUsage] in a guys backyard! Croxton Pond is part of the reason this HSOforum is available. The arrow case you are using is kind of neat, but it will crack in a New York minute on a really cold day. Then hw well spent in that 20 bucks? Also, the Pond bag is more than just a rod locker.

The arrow case works, but compare apples to apples........

This IS a place to share ideas... That is a good idea Dakota Iceman. Everyone has their own ideas about what they want. I think the suggestion from Dakota for $20 is a very good one for those who don't want to pay $40 for a revolution or Croxton Pond bag.

I really like the looks of that Stone Legacy revolution - it has enough pockets to store all your tackle plus 6 rods.

Hey Dog, didnt mean to start a big deal over rod carriers. I was just posting it as a alternative, I think 40 is a bit much for a cloth case but that is just my opinion. In regards to cracking in a new york minute......that may be a problem in new york. Im more concerned about minnesota and south dakota time zones. You boys over there have had some of the same -20 temps as us this year and my case has been banged around the otter lodge behind the four wheeler all season and its held up just fine. Iceman out>

If you like the suitcase style method, the otter rod carrier is built like a tank. I'm sure I'll hand it down to my boy someday.

The croxton, and revolutions, don't suit my needs very well as most of my ice rods start at 36 inches. I own a croxton, and it's ok, but I don't like the fact you have to bend your rods to make them fit. I still use it to store a million other things though.

The revolution looks good for the short sticks, and gear though. I just cant fish with a 28inch rod.

I've been looking for an alternative. My Croxton Pond is pretty well shot after two seasons. One of the side zippers is broken and holes are starting to appear in the corners. I'm looking for something that will hold up being stored and dragged around in the Otter.

The Revolution looks real good, but if you want indestructable, and have room in the Otter, the Otter rod case is great, I have 5 rods 28-36 inchs in mine plus three small tackle boxes. I am over 300lbs, and fell on mine on the ice one day, wound up sitting on the case. I put a slight dent in the case, that popped out when I opened it, otherwise all equip OK.

------------------
mama said there'd be days like this

that's a good idea iceman. I have a Croxton Pond but I feel vulnerable with the soft sides. already have the bow case- think it might be worth a try after bow huntins' over. it might break when it gets really cold but I never had a problem with bow in it at -30F

The hard sided box you speak of is an archery arrow case made by Case-Guard. It is the "arrow plus box" model and it is one of the best $20 bills I've ever spent on the sport. Every single person I've fished with wants one once they've seen it. Fits four rods up to 36" with reels and has built in storage compartments that fit alot of tackle. If they got a clue and made some minor modifications to it they would have the ideal box for ice fishing. As far as it cracking in cold weather, I have had mine in my otter at 20-30 below zero and pulled it behind my SkiDoo at 40-50 MPH with not a problem. I don't care what you have made of plastic. If it's real cold out and you pack it so it it gets beat up it WILL break. Common sense prevails. Always put the rod case and vexi in last and on top of everything else and no problems will happen. If anyone wants one of these I got mine at Cabelas......

Lots of good ideas out there. Im not a big fan of the bag style cases. This year I bought an aluminum case designed for paintball guns. It cost 40 buck but im real happy with it. I can fit 5 rods in it and it latches and locks. Id let the monkeys at the zoo play with it and the rods would be fine....

Another option is the Stone Legacy Revolution.It is a hard side case that holds up to 8 rods.It has 4 hard plastic compartments that keeps your rods from getting tangled up and a very room tackle compartment on top of it.I have 6 rods,2 Rock-n-Reels,a tip up and 4 tackle boxes in mine and still have some room for extra accessories.I have had a lot of rod bags and cases and have even made a few homemade ones myself but I honestly beleive that this is the best case out there.
I believe that Stone Legacy is making a limited amount of them right now and running a deal right now for 40 bucks on so on a limited production run this year.Next season they will have plenty in stock.Well worth it in my opinion.
Check out this thread if your interested in this case.
http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/004417.html

------------------
Minnesota River Guided Fishing
www.mnriverguidedfishing.com
[email protected]
NPAA #863

I too have used the Arrow cases. Work well except if its cold. I also used the Croxston Pond bags. Also nice. But now I have the Stone Legacy Revolution and Im not B.S.ing when I say its the best case I have ever owned. Some get up to 8 rods in theirs. I like bigger/longer rods and reals and I easily can get 6 in mine. Way more than enough storage too. Back straps for walking trips and a heavy duty side handle. Best thing is its all hard sided and no tangles!

[This message has been edited by Northlander (edited 02-23-2004).]