• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Marcum LX-1 in Cold Weather

jeffyo45

I was out fishing last night. Temp. started at 25 but quickly dropped into the low teens. My Marcum LX-1 started out working great but after awhile it started doing this funky thing where it looked like the screen was moving. Is this because the motor was getting cold or did I not charge the battery enough? I charged it from 10 the night before until about 6 the next night. Anyone know what was causing this? I guess I should have set the house up and turned on the heater but I didn't think it was going to get that cold. It still worked pretty well. Never would have known the agressive fish were coming through suspended at 20' in 35 feet of water without it. This was my first real use of it and I will have to say I never want to fish without one again.

When you say "the screen was moving" do you mean around in a circle?

If so, that could be sonar interference, usually from another flasher. I've read about it, and finally saw it when I was testing some repaired Zercoms this year - I forgot to turn one Clearwater Classic off when testing a second one in a hole 3 feet away, and they both did pinwheels on the screen.

As for cold - my Zercom Clearwater Classic and LCF 40 both work better after being on for a couple minutes, but then they work fine in any temp.

I don't believe it was interference. I wasn't that close to anyone and I hit my IR button just in case and was still doing it. I actually think I figured out what the culprit was. I think it was my lantern. Yesterday, the LX-1 was working fine during the day. Then when the sun went down I turned on my lantern and it started doing it again. The whole screen doesn't spin, it just kind of jumps to the right but then jumps back. It still marks fish and my jig but it is kind of annoying. Oh well. I guess I will have to get my lantern further away. Thanks for the thoughts.