• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Leaky Skylight

NAMASafetyDirector

No suprise here folks but the sky light in the kitchen of my double wide man. home is leaking! Anybody have any experience with this? What did you do to fix it or even better what tips do you have to completly remove them and patch up the hole so it looks nice from the inside? Thanks in advance!

Might be leaking via the flashing. If you like the lite I'd leave it in and fix the leak.

After a visual inspection, worst case is you'll end up removing the shingles around the lite and tie it back in the right way. Easy job for a roofer. Its vents, lites, and flashing where a D-I-Y'er will be tested.

Over the years there a many styles of lites and how they are constructed as far as boots, counter flashing,and so forth. Your leak could be from the counter flashing that is pulled away.

You won't know till you get up there of have a roofer up there.

If you can post a picture that would help.

I was up there this morning armed with another tube of PL roofing tar and I think I found out where it was leaking. We'll see, it's raining right now so hopefully I don't have a puddle on the floor when I get home. I really do like the natural light from a skylight so I would hate to tear it out however I would hate it worse to have to re-sheetrock, tape and texture and paint the kitchen from the dang thing continually leaking. Thanks for the help S.T.!

Do yourself a favor and get a Vellux skylight. The bubble ones will leak eventually. That tar will crack and break. It's better to get a real skylight with flashing. It will be cheaper than doing all the framing and sheetrocking to close it in. They also make ones with shades and ones that can open for a breeze or let air out.