• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 Alero with 2.4L

Hi everyone I bought a 2000 Olds Alero with the 2.4L Engine with 100k on it. However lately, mainly starting today, it runs great, but when it idles, it jumps between 500-800rpm, and then stalls and dies. I can start it up and it runs just fine, but then it does it again later. Any ideas?

What kind of time frame is there between the run fine and the stalling.

My first thought is fuel. I would put a gauge on it and monitor fuel pressure until the vehicle dies to at least eliminate the possibility of the pump going bad.

What kind of time frame is there between the run fine and the stalling.

When you idle at a stoplight, or stop somewhere and leave your car running. About 4-5 seconds, and then dies after idling that long.

Since it runs good other then idling, I would suspect a bad Idle control motor, or a leaking fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vac hose of the fuel pressure regulator and inspect for fuel in the vac line, if there is, replace the regulator.

When you idle at a stoplight, or stop somewhere and leave your car running. About 4-5 seconds, and then dies after idling that long.

If you restart it right away and just let it idle will it stall again in four or five seconds or will it run fine for a longer period of time?

Originally Posted By: dfruechte

If you restart it right away and just let it idle will it stall again in four or five seconds or will it run fine for a longer period of time?

It is running better now, it was a repairable and I do some body work, and went to pressure wash it, and took it to a guy this morning and he said something about some coils getting wet? any ideas what he is talking about on that?

Underneath the plate where it says 2.4 liter is the ignition system. There is a coil tower, 4 boots, and two coils. If it was not running ruff under acceleration than it seems odd that that was the fix but I suppose not impossible.

I have had a few cars with bad ignition that actually ran better when the wire where wet so I don't rule out a whole lot anymore!!