• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

carp chum?? such a thing

just curious if anybody knows of any ways to draw carp in close to your bait. i have toyed with the thought of frozen things that would slowly thaw to release scent but thought i would ask here first if any one has any guaranteed carp chum.

Do a search for something called a "method feeder." It's one of those European developments in carp-fishing technology.

I'm not sure of the legality in MN, but scattering kernals of corn or some oats around your bait works well.

What we do is we throw a bunch of corn out where we are going to cast. Then in a couple of minutes the carp should be there and ready to be caught. Also if the action slow just throw some more corn out and you should be ready to go again.

i want to fish a private lake that has a few carp in it, i never knew it had carp in it untill last weekend when i saw a few reall nice fish, i just don't want to sit all day waiting for the fish to swim past my bait, just trying to think of some thing i can place in the water to slowly emit scent that will draw the carpies in for miles

You MIGHT get away with some of those ideas, but the larger fish will likely ignore your offerings altogether. Unless you want to go in there cold and MAYBE fluke a fish, the best way is to regularly "bait the swim".

Go get a big sack of feed corn and boil a pile of it for at least 45 minutes with a bunch of sugar in the water until it has softened. Put it in a sealed container for at least a week to ferment (notice I said "sealed"... sick). Take it down to your honey hole at the same time that you will eventually want to fish it and toss a pile of it in a likely spot (within casting distance), probably where you first spotted them. Carp will get used to the offerings and be there regularly wink... they're also the only fish I know of that will continue to eat... often regurgitating if they're overloaded, then continuing to feed (a la' Nicole Richey grin).

When you go to fish them, take some sweet corn that you've dumped some liquid anise or some other sweetener into and bait up. I found some canned scent the last time I was down your way that was almost pure anise (licorish scent, and sweeeeet)that works great. They've got some of the most highly developed olfactory/taste senses out there, so don't worry about them finding your treats. Do a search on some of the bigger carp forums on baits, tackle, and methods for catching them if you really want to get into it... they're usually fishing totally wary and pressured fish though, so you shouldn't have to go to the extremes they do (search for "bait boats", for example :o).

I like float fishing them (as long as the waves and current aren't too crazy) in the swim with "boilies" or sweet corn that I make up beforehand. I'm also chumming the entire time I'm fishing with particle baits, field corn, etc. You've gotta' get their heads down (you'll see them tailing like bonefish or reds in the shallows when they've got the feedbag on...)before you can get the big ones to go.

Have fun, let 'em go to get bigger, & post pics after you try it out cool.

craig44.jpg