• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

8" Diameter Walleye weighs? Lake trout? Pike?

tnord

How big would a 8" diameter walleye weigh? Lake trout, pike etc. to not fit through an 8" auger hole? My best friends dad pulled a 10.6 pound walleye through a 6" spoon auger hole a few years ago, hand down the mouth, grabbed her by the gills and ripped her through. So how big would these fish have to be?
Of course this question factors into how often that 10" vexilar/marcum eating auger hole is needed.
Does anyone use that bottom flaring blade I saw for sale last year?

To get a 8'2x4 through a door you must do so length wise first. Tell that to a thrashing Lake Trout. I've lost many Lakers that were still green by being bumped off at the hole. Its much easier to pull any fish through a bigger hole.
That being said I pulled a 28lb lake Trout with the aid of a gaff through an 8" hole. I'd prefer a 10".

And S.T., you shall have a 10-inch hole. Can you say "stfcatfish's 10-inch Strikemaster?" grin.gif

Oooh, man, can't wait until general inland laker opener. grin.gif

As for how big a fish will fit through how big a hole, a mathemetician can calculate a formula, but holes ice in from the outside, and it's tough to know what will fit based on math. A gaff helps tremendously, but if you're afraid you're in water that has fish bigger than your hole, drill overlapping holes in adavance ( or a triangle overlapping pattern) so you have a big enough space to get a trophy through.

------------------
"Worry less, fish more."
Steve Foss
[email protected]