• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Steering Tension control bolt

I have a 30 horse Mariner tiller, that has lost it's steering tension control. I have tried to tighten down the bolt but seems warn out. The question I have is this a standard bolt with 1 hole or is there more connected to that hole.

I can try. As you are looking at the moter from inside the boat, On the right side at the begining of the upper lower unit. There is a bolt that you can tighten down, so your steering is not loose and your moter stays where you positioned it. Right now if you let go it swings on its own, whether its running or not. I have tightened it down but it is worn, and I want to replace the bolt. I just think there is something else that the bolt connects too inside, and that is what I am worried about. I am probally wrong but just trying to confirm b-4 I remove that bolt.

Thanks G.C.

I can get that but not right now, so we shall have to wait until I get home around 6:00pm. I appreciate the effort and hopefully figure it out b-4 I remove that bolt.( I have a mechanical son in the automotive field. I hope he doesn't try to play with it.)He is good at it, but I just think there is something else attached inside that would have to be lined up again b-4 reinstalling the bolt. I could be over analyzing too. Like I said its a 86 Mariner 30 HP tiller. Great Great moter and has served me well for 22 years and counting. Starts on the second pull when cold and first pull after it warms. Just getting tired of holding on to it when trolling.

Thanks Double M

G.C.

OK we have now found the problem. My auto mechanic son took the bolt out or should I say half of the bolt. That is why it wasn't staying tight. The bolt is busted. It is a 3/8's bolt. Hopefully we can drill it out, or does anybody else have an idea how to get the other half out.

Thanks G.C.

Funny that is what my kid said possibly might work. I guess dad has to trust 19 yr old son's ability more. Upon looking at it it could go either way. It is only a 3/16 bolt with a 5/16's head. To be sure I guess I need to find out how long this bolt is supposed to be. It could be worn or busted. It is a small hole. The bolt looks like its somewhat normal but it is hard to tell. It looks like there is more bolt inside, but.....

Marine Man or Boat Fixer the model # I got off the moter is 689 L 326967

I really Thank you for the info.

Thanks G.C.

Not off hand.. sorry.

You could print the picture out, measure something shown in the picture that you can measure the length on, figure out what scale the picture is, then measure the bolt length and figure out what the actual length is.

FYI - that item is called a "pin" by mercury. The P/N is 19109M

marine_man

Hey Marine Man - just curious - you're giving info away almost constantly. Do you have a computer on a roll around cart next to what you're working on? Shop so big that you're the front man sitting in an office?

I have benefited a couple of times from extremely fast answers by pros like yourself on this HSOforum and I am just curious about how they can get any work done that pays the bills.

Thanks

Tom

Good morning Marine Man, I stand corrected on the bolt #. I thought it was #36, and that is a pin. We now have determined it is 3 2-6 or 6-2, which is just to the right of 36. # 6 is a bolt, but is # 2 a bushing of some kind.

Thanks G.C.

So # 2 is a seal, so we are back to the bolt thing. I still can't tell if the bolt is busted or just worn down. Going to see if we can get a new bolt and check out the size. The seal did not come out with the bolt,( I don't know if it is supposed to) and it does look a little shiney in the hole. The bolt on the close up version looks to be the same size.