• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Metro Muskie Tournament

I got a Minnesota Muskie Tournament Newsletter and noticed that there is a Metro Muskie tournament on 16 metro lakes June 14th. I have the entry form and can pay the $35 entry fee but I have a few questions about how it works.

Can anyone (fishing partner for the tournament) verify fish caught or does it need to be someone else in the tourny. How do you verify measurements and know for sure that it was caught on that day? Do you get a tag or a hat or something before it begins that you show in the picture? I have never done a tournament before but thought I could donate my money in this one just to give it a try. Sorry for the rookie questions.

Thanks for the help.

~Dan

Hey Dan,

Kind of a fun way for someone like you and I from the sounds of it to experience a tourney setting. It's a little more lax than most.

The witness must be outside your boat, but doesn't have to be a tourney participant. There's a form they fill out. Like you said, if you're planning on fishing the Metro that day anyway, why not? Only risk is drawing attention to a lake you may fish a lot the following few days! That happened last year with Eagle, it was packed the next day!

Here are the rules:

2008 Metro Tournament Rules

Artificial lures ONLY - no live or dead bait.

No fishing prior to 6:00 a.m. on June 14, 2008.

All participants must wear life jackets whenever gas motor is running.

All persons in the boat must be tournament participants.

Only one line per angler.

Any unsportsmanlike conduct will be grounds for disqualification. Judges decision final.

Only live released muskies may be entered. Witnesses required for muskies 40" or over.

All caught muskies of any length will be entered for Grand Prize Drawing.

All 40" muskies must be taken immediately to nearest witness not in your boat for measurement and release. Witness does not have to be participating in Metro Muskie Tournament.

Fishing boundaries on Lake St. Croix are waters downstream of the Hwy 64 bridge in Stillwater to the Hwy 10 bridge in Prescott.

Digital or 35mm photo required of all fish entered in tournament and Grand Prize drawing. (Photos will be downloaded/developed at awards ceremony).

All witness forms must be turned in at Gander Mountain in Maple Grove by 4:00 pm.

Awards based on total points.

June 2nd is the cut-off for registration. Do a web search on "mmtt" and you'll find the site and reg form.

I'm likely in town for some graduation open house that weekend, so I'll probably sign up this year. Heck, I live two miles away from the Maple Grove GM, so why not?